Pool Closed

It takes a while to kill all the algae, even at super chlorinated levels. Need to remember that that stuff is hiding in places that may have very low water flow. That is why brushing is so important. Many times you will need to remove the stairs and scrub them separately to kill what could be growing inside them. The only time my pool had a slight haze to it took two days to get back to the normal crystal clear.

For CYA was from a test strip the second one was from the test kit k2006. I checked my new sand filter holds 100 pounds of sand the old filter held 150 pounds of sand. The pool store is saying it doesn't make a difference. The new pump is 115 vac 60 hr 3450rpm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take 1 cup of pool water and 1 cup of tap water and mix them together in a bowl. This will be the sample you test using the CYA test. Fill the bottle to the first mark with the pool water mix, then add CYA reagent to the second mark. Cap and shake the bottle then let it sit 1 minute. Shake again and pour the solution into the CYA test vial and read the test. Take the result and double it. So for example if this test read 50 ppm the result doubled would be 100.

I completed the test the point where I could no longer see the dot was exactly between 30 & 40. 35 x 2 is 70
my new sand filter is 100 pounds of sand my old sand filter was 150 pounds does that make a difference
the pool store says no

If you will notice the marks on the test cylinder are not evenly spaced. Halfway between 30 and 40 is probably closer to 38. Since the +/- accuracy on these tests is 10ppm I would call the level 80. If you want to drain water to lower CYA you would need to remove a little more than 50% to reach 30 ppm.

Your filter is smaller than the old one, so it will need to be cleaned more often, but it should filter just fine.

Ok, good. So when you do the test without diluting, do you also get 70? If yes this is a good level for an SWG pool. If you are using bleach vs SWG, this is too high and you want to drain and refil. So your SLAM level should be 28 (70* 40%). So you want it to stay at or slightly abouve 28. All the time. Measure as often as you can and Lee adding bleach. SLAM is different than shock in that you maintain the FC, until the criteria is met.

The criteria is:

You are done when:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

So keep it there until these criteria are met.

Also, CYA is unrelated to filter size.

So filter size is about the size in gallons, amount of use/tree trash/pollen, and how often you want to clean your filter. An undersized filter will filter just great, but will need to be cleaned more often than an oversized filter.

So so with that background, how do you know which you have? Turns out for now, this doesn't matter. That is because we have a good way to determine when you need to clean.

So pick a pump RPM, if it is dual speed I'd recommend the lower speed, but just pick a measurement speed. If it is single speed, then that is it. With a clean filter, note your pressure. When that pressure increases by 25%, it is time to clean. In your case that is likely a backwash since deep cleaning is probably not necessary since your filter is new. In short, just watch your PSI, and no need to worry about your filter otherwise.

Ok, good. So when you do the test without diluting, do you also get 70? If yes this is a good level for an SWG pool. If you are using bleach vs SWG, this is too high and you want to drain and refil. So your SLAM level should be 28 (70* 40%). So you want it to stay at or slightly abouve 28. All the time. Measure as often as you can and Lee adding bleach. SLAM is different than shock in that you maintain the FC, until the criteria is met.
Sorry I'm getting confused so my cya needs to be at 40 to slam with shock level of 16
Shock level is 40% of cya. If your cya is reading add as 70-80, id do 80 so shock level is 32... Fortunately your almost there already...

Ok. we need to slow down and take a step back for a minute. Jayrice1, your CYA is 80ppm based on the two tests you conducted earlier. You could slam the pool with a CYA of 80, but it will take a great deal more bleach to reach and maintain slam levels. I recommend you drain about 60% of the pool and refill to bring down the CYA level. Once you have drained and refill the pool, you will test the CYA again and report the result here. If it is low enough we can start the slam at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm draining my pool is that incorrect

- - - Updated - - -

Should I be draining my pool. TO late

Yes, draining is good! Sorry I type slow! Drain a little more than 1/2 and refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.