Pool closed since fall of 2017...

Jleek0151

Mar 26, 2019
Illinois
Last fall I purchased my house that had a pool that was not opened in the spring of 2018. There reason behind them not opening the pool was of a busy schedule durning the summer months. Which these days are understandable. I purchased the house in September and didn’t have the extra money to open then close the pool with just weeks left in the season. Now that it’s the end of March coming into April I have a few questions. I have done some research and read some forums, but I still have a few questions.

To start off the pool I believe is a 33’x18’ oval above ground pool that has had a spring mesh cover on since fall of 2017. I did remove part of the cover last October and skimmed part of the nasty stuff off the top of the water. The pool water was extremely green and dark. Water was decently “clean” so to speak though. The previous owner only removed the pump and sand filter and left the hoses attached and open since the date of the closing. I believe to let the water drain out so the water would not raise extremely?? To start of my first question since of those type of closing of the hoses should I be worried about the skimmer? I did check the water level throughout the winter months and it never got much lower than the bottom of the skimmer.

Next question would be when would be the best time to start opening the pool up since of the neglect of a couple years. Next would it be best to drain the pool a couple feet then refill with some fresh water? Or would just hooking the filter system up and filling the pool up to the skimmer and start vacuuming to waste and refilling pool as I go?

Third. I have seen testing the pools levels and adjusting ph before the shocking process. I have also read just to start the shocking process till the water start to get clear then adjusting all other levels. Just wondering what the best way would be. Now with shocking the pool do you use packets/liquid chlorine/bleach?? I assume I’m going to be using a lot of whatever you guys recommend. I understand I will need to try and clean a majority of the junk out of the pool before I start the shocking process. Mostly I’m just nervous about turning a nasty green pool clear.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will have more question as I go and I will be sure to update this post9F8B6CA8-B130-43C6-B59F-BAB50C6EA021.jpeg1F724ADF-D503-4B73-A82B-DBA93A958DCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TFP!! You have come to the right place to get that pool up and clear!

First off..........how are you testing the water? THAT is the most important thing of all.

I will wait for your answer then move on to how you clear the water but it all hinges on your water testing.

Kim:kim:

Thank you for the response. I need to look into getting a testing device for this pool season. I will update when I get my hands on one and I’ll take a few pictures of the pool itself.
There are two test kits that meet the needs of the residential pool owner. The TF100 and the Taylor K2006C. The TF100 is the best value as it has more of the tests that you really need.
Many of us have a Speedstir too. It makes the testing much easier and more accurate.

I removed the cover this afternoon to take a look at the water(posted pictures in original post). Water was decently clear and I could see the bottom. Seems like there is going to be a lot of sediment to clean.

Get a big skimmer net to scoop out what you can and then consider getting a robot cleaner to run along the bottom to get the rest.

We don't follow pool store "shock" methods. If you haven't yet found it, read our SLAM Process process to clear up pools. all it needs is a good test kit and lots of liquid chlorine/bleach (not Clorox) to clear and sanitize the water.

You should also review ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you have a vacuum head and hose? If so, might be well worth it to try to carefully vacuum to waste (don't stir it up), then top off with fresh water. Skim any other green off the top. There really isn't a need to indiscriminately drain water.

Just FYI: You have a liner. Never drain that pool and leave it empty. I knew someone who had a green pool that they didn't want to take care of and drained it. Liner shrank... no more pool without new liner. I guess that would be a cheaper repair than doing it with concrete and having it float though.

Do you have a vacuum head and hose? If so, might be well worth it to try to carefully vacuum to waste (don't stir it up), then top off with fresh water. Skim any other green off the top. There really isn't a need to indiscriminately drain water.

Just FYI: You have a liner. Never drain that pool and leave it empty. I knew someone who had a green pool that they didn't want to take care of and drained it. Liner shrank... no more pool without new liner. I guess that would be a cheaper repair than doing it with concrete and having it float though.
Yes I do have a vacuum that is new. The liner that is in the pool is less than 5 years old. Hopefully it cleans up nicely ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After getting home and taking a better look at the skimmer.. to my luck it’s cracked. Not sure if replacing or fixing it is better....

Attachments

• F75111ED-C856-4261-A652-0B3E7C8CD81F.jpeg
    F75111ED-C856-4261-A652-0B3E7C8CD81F.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 27
  • CBD2517D-6B36-4EFE-8C8D-C5D3A2A6EE8C.jpeg
    CBD2517D-6B36-4EFE-8C8D-C5D3A2A6EE8C.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 26
Just out of curiosity can you remove the top rails of the pool for cleaning purpose or will removing them cause the liner to shift? I noticed a piece Plastic coping possibly has fell from the rail. As I’m new to this I’m not quite sure if that what it is or not. I’m not 100% what type of liner it is. It seems to be a softer plastic seal in a since that was fallen from under that rail. Didn’t know if that was concerning and can be reinstalled easily.

Last edited:
You can remove one or two to rails, but no more, at a time to work on that area. The top rails help the walls hold their shape. Can you take a CAREFUL (don't drop your phone/camera!) pic of what you are seeing as far as the liner and what fell in? It depends on what kind of liner you have as to what it is.

You can remove one or two to rails, but no more, at a time to work on that area. The top rails help the walls hold their shape. Can you take a CAREFUL (don't drop your phone/camera!) pic of what you are seeing as far as the liner and what fell in? It depends on what kind of liner you have as to what it is.

I will take some pictures on my lunch break today. Since my pool is pushing 20+ years in will need to inspect every closely

Yes I know! I know the people that put it in and I know it was installed correctly and it shows by the age. Pool has no rusting on the walls and overall in good shape. Does show it’s age, but beauty comes with age right?

Also the liner is a beaded type liner and the seal just snapped back in behind the liner!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.