Pool Cleaners - Worth it?

Mozartk626

Mar 31, 2021
Houston
Looking for some expert advice. My old Polaris that I inherited from the previous home owners is falling apart, and I’m torn between getting it fixed, buying a new one, or splurging for a $1000 top of the line robot. I have a very small plunge pool with a pebble finish, so lots of nooks and crannies for algae to build up. I can’t tell you how much I hate scrubbing the pool, and if I could just get something to do it for me, it would be a great, even if I had to drop a grand or so for it. When I talked to one of the techs at my local pool store, I asked her if those things are worth it, and she looked around to make sure nobody was listening before she told me flat out, “No. they don’t scrub your pool, clean the walls, etc. It’s all a bunch of sales BS. The only thing they do is pick up leaves and debris on ghe bottom of your pool. I don’t even own one, but if it’s more convenient to you to have one instead of vacuuming by hand, just grab a cheep Polaris with a bag and you’re fine.” Is what she’s saying correct? Or will I really get some scrubbing benefit from a fancy wall climbing robot?

M,

First.. You don't run a pool cleaner to get rid of algae.

My robots clean the floor, scrub the walls, and my waterline tile.

I have three saltwater pools and they each have a robot. In total, the pools have been TFP pools for over 25 years, and in all that time I have never manually "scrubbed" my pools.

Only you can decide if you want a Robot or not. All I know for sure is that I'll never own any type of water powered cleaner.

If you wanted me to talk you out of a robot cleaner, you came to the wrong place. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

The basic s200 does a good job scrubbing the bottom and the tile line. It won’t get up growing algae but it might do enough to prevent it from grabbing hold and growing.
The filter are fine and will catch a lot of stuff. Most of the time I am shocked at all the stuff that came out of my spotless pool :)

Honestly, I bought a top of the line robot and I’m beginning to regret it. It’s on Season #5 and I’m already getting indications that the motor is likely going to fail. That’s a $450 part to replace. I don’t think there’s any good data on real world robot longevity, but I have my suspicions that it’s not very good. Spending $1000 + on a robot and only potentially getting 5 years out of it before you have to lay down half its cost in another repair is really not good. You’d be better off just getting a new cleaner similar to what you have OR getting the lowest cost robot you can find. The S200 series is a decent bargain if you get 5-6 years out of before it needs any major repairs.

Thanks, folks. I take really good care of my pool, so I’m not worried so much about cleaning up algae. My main question is just about whether I can get something good enough that I won’t have to scrub my pool anymore, or at least not every week like everyone recommends. Even with only a 7,000 gallon pool, all that scrubbing is just not how I’m interested in spending my time.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thanks, folks. I take really good care of my pool, so I’m not worried so much about cleaning up algae. My main question is just about whether I can get something good enough that I won’t have to scrub my pool anymore, or at least not every week like everyone recommends. Even with only a 7,000 gallon pool, all that scrubbing is just not how I’m interested in spending my time.
If you are following the TFP method, you shouldn’t need to be a rubbing much at all. I have a 27k gallon pool and haven’t needed to brush it at all except for a couple special cases along with my steps since they seem to collect dust from the surrounding area.

My robot S200 does a good job cleaning the debris out of my pool. Best cleaner I have had. It is also ridiculously easy to repair if you know which end of a screwdriver to use. Uses almost no electricity.

But like anything "pool" it is expensive to maintain year after year. The concept of "buying it once and never spending any more money on it" is faulty thinking. You will spend *at least* a couple hundred dollars per year on average replacing parts. The first year you may have little maintenance as it is new and has a warranty, but just put the savings aside, you'll need it later :). Way cheaper than paying a pool service to clean your pool, but cleaning robots are NOT maintenance-free. All relative to how much you run it and how much time it is underwater. Mine runs a lot and it is underwater a lot.

Really the same goes with almost anything to do with the pool. My prior pressure side cleaners (Polaris, Letro Legend) had to have most of the moving parts renewed every couple of years, and hoses, and I have bought at least 3 booster pumps over a decade or two. Factor in the electricity cost to run them (maybe $400/yr for electricity alone).

For now I will say with the S200 robot is the least expensive option for cleaning, and distracts me from pool cleaning to allow me to do my other chores the least. But it is not inexpensive or "maintenance free".

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry and Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.