edmond/ok
So, my chemistry this morning
free chlorine 5
Cc - 0
ph 7.8
TA 50
CH 225
CYA 30

During the day, fc may drop to 3.5 but at night I raise it back to the upper limit of target range for CYA (currently 30) if not a little more just because with high temps I want to ensure I maintain above minimum through day.

We had some rain (about 4 inches) and then warm temps (100s for a few days.

My pool clarity (lost its “crystal clear” appearance) and a brown to green residue (small streak running down wall) is collecting on one sunny side round edge of wall. I brush it w no cloud or poof of anything. It just disappears but returns within a 2-3 hours.

I run my pump for a few hours in the morning and about 5 hours at night.

I even pass an overnight FC loss test.

So I’m wondering....when everything chemistry seems right, why my water and this residue look wrong? ? ??‍♀️

My understanding is that if you fail the OCLT it indicates algae, but passing the OCLT does not prove that you do not have algae.. If you look at the SLAM requirements, you have to pass the OCLT and the pool must not be cloudy or have obvious algae and CC's are less than .5.. Two out of three is not good enough..

I can't say why you got algae, but you need to run a SLAM to get rid of it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: sas90
Wih a CYA of 30ppm your shock level is 12 ppm FC so lower your pH at bit first then raise the FC up there for a several days and watch for changes in the clarity and bottom accumulations.

Last edited:
this will be my second SLAM this summer so a little bummed. My first SLAM was because my levels got below recommendations while out of town but since then I’ve been diligent.
I thought if I kept levels within range and/or above minimums all should be good? ??‍♀️
I’ll give it another go (SLAM).
Thanks to all of you!

Last edited:
That area and anything above may have held some algae that re-bloomed when you got close to minimum. I'd suggest paying close attention to that area while you SLAM. Brush that area extra often. Check any areas that are similar. SLAM might be super fast if you get any and all possible hidden spots.

Well, that’s not good. I even did an extra day of SLAM for good measure once I passed OCLT. Oh well, back at it again.

I still wonder if ph factors in at all. Mine tends to run high, pushing 8 some days. Is chlorine more effective at lower ph ranges? Thanks to both of you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that’s not good. I even did an extra day of SLAM for good measure once I passed OCLT. Oh well, back at it again.

I still wonder if ph factors in at all. Mine tends to run high, pushing 8 some days. Is chlorine more effective at lower ph ranges? Thanks to both of you!
I was having similar troubles early this spring/summer. I have to leave town frequently for work (sometimes at the last minute) and I can't always get someone to add bleach for me (I'm the perfect candidate for a SWG, but I'm just not a fan of the salt water pools), so I'd bump up the FC before heading to the airport and hope for the best. Usually I'd come back to clear water, but some green beginning to show on the sides so I'd have to SLAM again (and again, and again). This all changed once I started using the Polyquat 60 as extra insurance; Haven't seen anything green since I started using it.

We know that if you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio, that algae will not start to grow. So that leaves two options.. One; you did let the pool water get below the minimum FC level, or two; the algae was already there..

I have not personally seen this, but I'm told that algae can hide under a ladder or behind a pool light niche... Also brushing is more important than most think.. Algae can form a cover that prevents the chlorine from attaching it... Brushing breaks the cover and lets the chlorine do its job..

Thanks,

Jim R.

We know that if you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio, that algae will not start to grow. So that leaves two options.. One; you did let the pool water get below the minimum FC level, or two; the algae was already there.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m guessing the latter because I’ve been very careful w my fc levels since my SLAM earlier this summer and not wanting to experience another and here I am! Ugh

I definitely brush! Sometimes 3x/day. No ladders here. I took my lights apart, brush steps, run my vacuum almost continuously, etc.
In the time I’ve had my pool this is my 3rd SLAM. In 2016, I inherited a terrible problem (extremely high CYA with complete loss of any FC amounts overnight. By 2017, I had a reasonable cya and did my first SLAM (when I found TFP).
took me almost 3 weeks to successfully SLAM my pool (2017)! I never wanted to experience that again so I have stayed on top of it. Until this year when I went out of town. :-(

The 2nd SLAM was in July this year. I’m guessing I just didn’t get rid of it all. ??‍♀️
I’ll be more careful this time.

This morning I only lost 0.5 FC but water is still not crystal clear (looks dull), but I can easily see the bottom. And the thin greenish-brown streak (about 3 inches long) on the rounded wall was back! ? plus I noticed a few other small areas of discoloration on the walls near ledges. So I raised FC back to 12 (CYA 30) and brushed, brushed, brushed!
Yesterday, I completed 6 tests adding a total of 8.5 FC. At times, I only lost 0.5 ppm but others I had lost as much as 2ppm.
I’ll keep at it but curious if I have a bigger problem here or it’s just some really tough algae despite? ??‍♀️

This morning I passed 2 of 3 (0 FC loss, no CCs) but the green- brownish thin streak is back w a few other very small patchy areas of green/brown. I can see the bottom of the pool but would say the water is still a little dull although someone else may not see “dull” and call it clear. Only cause I know what it can look like if that makes sense.

So still wondering - do I have a bigger problem or just really stubborn algae? I’ll keep SLAMMING and brushing today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.