Katy Tx Mom

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2021
Katy, Texas
Hello, I wanted to start by thanking everyone on this site! The information has been invaluable. I only wish I had found it before we started this process.

Backstory: the back of the pool had to be jackhammered out because the plumbing was low and then gunnited over.

Then the tile guys came and patched the hole in the back and propped up the jets with rocks, as seen in the first pic. We asked the PB if the pipes should be even said it's normal. As seen in pics they filled the backside then came in and filled in from the front with a different material. Does anyone recognize that material?

I also wonder if we should get a written warranty for the special circumstances.

9.28 s.jpg10.30 back 1.jpg11.18 back 2.jpg

Hello, I wanted to start by thanking everyone on this site! The information has been invaluable. I only wish I had found it before we started this process.

Backstory: the back of the pool had to be jackhammered out because the plumbing was low and then gunnited over.

Then the tile guys came and patched the hole in the back and propped up the jets with rocks, as seen in the first pic. We asked the PB if the pipes should be even said it's normal. As seen in pics they filled the backside then came in and filled in from the front with a different material. Does anyone recognize that material?

I also wonder if we should get a written warranty for the special circumstances.

View attachment 383822View attachment 383805View attachment 383807
I would ask the pb what they used. Hopefully your contract already has some sort of shell failure warranty as that is the most basic part of what you are paying them to build. If not you probably should ask to have that added.

I would ask the pb what they used. Hopefully your contract already has some sort of shell failure warranty as that is the most basic part of what you are paying them to build. If not you probably should ask to have that added.
Thanks for your response. The PB quit last Thursday. They have been paid 75% with about 25% of the work completed. I'll start a new thread about it.

I’m sorry to hear about your builder quitting on you. I am located in Katy myself. Are y’all looking for a new builder or considering hiring out the of the job yourself? I know a local builder who completed my build who is located in Katy.

I am so sorry for the issues you’re facing with the pool build. I will just say this site as many experienced in pool builds, those in the industry. Personall, I suggest you review your contract with a fine tooth comb. Make a copy then on the copy high light the pertinent parts.

Below is the shortened version, but the important dates. It shows we were worried about getting the equipment and were willing to pay for it to make sure we got it in a timely manner. But now they can't get the equipment and expect us to pay more, even though the cost increase is not in the contract. We started questioning them when they wanted $2500 for tile/stone above our allowance and that's when they got rude and weird.

4/23/21 Signed contract, deposit
6/7/21 HOA approval
7/21/21 we email our concerns about equipment said we would pay, their response is, “don’t worry it is ordered but not paid for”
--waiting patiently for them to start... 2.5 months
8/25/21 Excavation, pay 40%, + 2500 for small equipment dig, + 3 additional feet for 3000.
8/31/21 rebar and plumbing
9/16/21 Gunite, paid 35%,
9/17/21 We emailed them regarding concern about how it was looking, uneven, rough, bad. And they left a HUGE MESS and big trash piles, piled up dirt and concrete on the house and fence, etc. They said it looks great and the mess could be worse.
9/28/21 plumber noticed low pipes and jackhammered out the back to fix the plumbing
10/9/21 plumbers back, drain everything to one side of the house, had to come fix later, we ended up with a capped off pipe to nowhere.
10/30/21 tile guys built up the walls and semi-patched the back hole

11/4/21 Change order for $2500 for tile/stone, (only 260sq.ft. total tile)
--we called and got prices for the same tile/stone, so we asked for details, but they said no.
11/15/21 text from PB, no good news, HE CANNOT GET ANY EQUIPMENT, it will cost 10-18% more, and it could be next spring before he can get the equipment.
11/17/21 we sent an email of how the job is off track and how the contract doesn’t say they can charge us more.
11/18/21 7:00 am, crew fill hole.
11/18/21 Email saying the job is on hold. Due to our letter

11/2/21 MEETING, they said they are losing $ on the job and need $12,000 and a new contract or they quit.
Notes from meeting:
•Change orders can be marked up 400%, it is up to them.
•He has no control over his sub-contractors.
•We have paid 75% of the project and that's the amount they have in the project.
•It is normal for them to have to jackhammer large holes in the shell, "it happens all the time".
•The plumbing being propped up by rocks because it's still low is common.
•They gave us a choice, lawyer up or change the contract to include $12,000 more!

Attachments

• 9.28 c.jpg
    9.28 c.jpg
    952.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 10.27a.jpg
    10.27a.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 9.8c.jpg
    9.8c.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 9.16 column.jpg
    9.16 column.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 10.15.21.jpg
    10.15.21.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 9.8 gunite 2.jpg
    9.8 gunite 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: renesme
I’m sorry to hear about your builder quitting on you. I am located in Katy myself. Are y’all looking for a new builder or considering hiring out the of the job yourself? I know a local builder who completed my build who is located in Katy.
Hello, if you are happy with your builder, please send their info. We also have a lawyer we are going to call tomorrow. It really sucks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a bumpy ride you have been on :( Yeah it is time to lawyer up. Keep us in the loop about what happens.

I will say those pipes in the chopped out are are not level. Guess the rocks must have moved??? sigh..........unreal in so many ways!

What a bumpy ride you have been on :( Yeah it is time to lawyer up. Keep us in the loop about what happens.

I will say those pipes in the chopped out are are not level. Guess the rocks must have moved??? sigh..........unreal in so many ways!
I will let you know. Praying for a good outcome. And hoping other newbies will read our nightmare and be so diligent about who they hire!

Funny thing, when I told them we couldn't believe they propped it up with a rock, she said "what should it be propped up with" I replied, "it shouldn't need to be propped up!" side note: the propping was after they jackhammered it out and "fixed" it.

Sorry to hear this, best of luck sorting it out.

Whats with all trash? My builders are the same way. I understand the materials debris ... but coke bottles is just littering. I walk around and pick them up, while we are waiting weeks for the next crew :rolleyes:

Gees, what a mess (literally and figuratively). Yep, lawyer up and get everything in writing from now on. Hopefully it will all work out in the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.