Pool Build Input - SEPA

Aeschy-A

Aug 25, 2022
Doylestown, PA
A question for the more experienced pool owners …

My pool build is well underway (30 x 12 foot pool, gunite done, plumbing in, tile is next), and I am pleased with the pool progress.

This is a question about the pool deck / area around the pool.

When we first drafted our plans, we assumed that most of our “pool side” lounging / eating would take place on the adjacent Trex deck (left side of plan, see attached image) and we did not use all the yard space we have for developing the area immediately around the pool itself. Basically, I have 8 feet of concrete pool deck between the pool and the Trex deck and 7 feet of concrete deck between the house and the pool. On the far right side of the pool, we have about 3 feet of concrete decking. The back side of the pool is up against the setback line, so nothing can be done there.

It is the area on the right side, where it says “Proposed Landscaping” where I have space I can still use. Basically, I can add another 10 x 15 feet of space of concrete pool decking.

From what I have read online, my currently proposed pool decking space is not really wide enough for a table and chairs for eating or lounging while still having enough space to comfortably walk around the pool.

My question is this … based on those of you who own pools, do you wish you had more leisure space around the pool? Should I strongly consider having that additional 10 x 15 foot space on the right end of the pool converted into concrete pool decking?3BE5B0D3-D057-4005-A268-EB015EFC1EC7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the struggle with most builds. Budget and imagination are the only two factors that limit possibilities. How big is the family? Do you entertain a lot? It has been my experience that you always grow into or out of your space. With that being said, I would push to have the larger patio area. Good luck!!!.

We've only had water in our pool for about a month and a half, but we've had several decent sized parties during that time. I think the biggest was about 30 people, and I definitely was glad that we had our existing 25'x25' brick patio and underdecking (about 12' x 30') areas to accommodate. We had right around 900 sq. ft of paver decking added when the pool was built, and it mainly connects the multiple hang out areas we have, with one additional lounge area (18' x 12') on the top side where you get into our pool. It sounds like a ton of space, until you start adding furniture, eating areas, and drink/food setup areas into the mix. Our pool also has around 55' of raised beam wall that also doubles as a bench. During the bigger party, having multiple gathering spots vs 1 big area, made it feel much more intimate and less cramped. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and put in the additional decking. You will always find a use for it, and it will be cheaper to do now than down the road.

How big is the family? Do you entertain a lot? It has been my experience that you always grow into or out of your space. With that being said, I would push to have the larger patio area. Good luck!!!.

Four permanent members (myself, the wife, two boys) and one semi-permanent resident (relative who lives with us during the summer and fall). I suspect the boys will be out there every waking hour they are not in summer camps or playing sports, etc.

At the moment, we do not entertain too much, but I know that will change once the pool is up and running. The boys have already invited their friends over, and I am sure there will be a never-ending parade of their friends next Spring and Summer. I think we will keep the gatherings on the smaller side (only a few visitors at once) since the pool itself is not gigantic.

From what I read online, you realistically need a 10 x 10 space to place a typical four person eating area with chairs and still have room to walk around. It seemed like quite a big number to me until I went out and did some measurements myself and then looked at actual pool deck furniture. Without using that available (and currently unused) space, the largest such area I have in the immediate vicinity of the pool is about 8 x 16 or so, and that is right between my Trex deck and the pool, and that same area is going to be the main traffic path between the Trex deck, the pool, and the entrance to the house.

I definitely was glad that we had our existing 25'x25' brick patio and underdecking (about 12' x 30') areas to accommodate. We had right around 900 sq. ft of paver decking added when the pool was built, and it mainly connects the multiple hang out areas we have, with one additional lounge area (18' x 12') on the top side where you get into our pool. It sounds like a ton of space, until you start adding furniture, eating areas, and drink/food setup areas into the mix.

Yeah, I am now envisioning separate gathering spots on opposite sites of the pool - the raised Trex deck area (18 x 14 area) might be a few deck couches and / or seats and a small table for socializing / drinks / conversation, and less for actual eating.

And the potential expanded pool deck area on the opposite end of the pool (which would be a total area of about 13 x 20) could be used for an actual eating area with table and umbrella and still have room for a lounge chair or a few stand alone deck chairs and side table.

Reactions: darkrider
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.