Pool Build Finally Started - Bryan, TX (11/4/20)

Yeah, it's a very small area on the back of the column. The top of each has a cap that matches the decking.
Thanks for the tips on extra tile. I will ask them today. It rained overnight and the ground is all. . . . Muddy. !!

Finally am sharing more pictures of the tile. The job took 2 days, the last one they installed the tile on the top step, front and top. They did do the back of the columns. They also left one square foot of the waterline and the column tile as extras (for us to store). The rest they took back for credit.

Presently the area is muddy, wet, and cold. We had rain over Thanksgiving and will have a hard freeze tonight. !!!

Attachments

• TileSteps.jpg
    TileSteps.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 111
  • TileSteps2.jpg
    TileSteps2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 114
  • TileSteps3.jpg
    TileSteps3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
  • TileSteps4.jpg
    TileSteps4.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 114
  • TileSteps5.jpg
    TileSteps5.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Our plaster company sent a crew that chipped out all the excess mortar and grout that was left over, then they pressure washed the pool and drained it. When the plaster crew showed up they went through with shop vacs and cleaned it again right before they did the plaster.

Is your waterline tile the same tile posted on page one of this thread? It is JUST what we were looking for for our waterline, but never found! Your installed tile (which I LOVE) looks so different from the tile on page one . . .

Last edited:
Is your waterline tile the same tile posted on page one of this thread? It is JUST what we were looking for for our waterline, but never found! Your installed tile (which I LOVE) looks so different from the tile on page one . . .

Sorry I am so slow. I tend to snuggle down and read in cold weather. Thank goodness for my kindle!
The picture I posted is directly from the Master Tile Catalog. Cut and paste. The colors in the catalog are completely different than in person -- So it's best to view a sample, take it outside, and see it in the sun in your back yard. I was able to do that, but the pool company said I had to return it the next day. *sigh*

I knew the tile was a lot different from online. I knew it had some gray, but I didn't know it'd look so turquoise. What I was shooting for is a medium hue which I did get and it's glazed. (easier cleaning) I didn't want it to stand out, so when I'd look at the pool, I'd notice the pool water color and not the tile. I'm sure you've seen catalog pool pictures where all you notice is the tile. No, I didn't want that. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together -- Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure is a lighter blue so I think it'll blend well.

I'm dying to plant my plants and get going on the landscaping.

Meanwhile the pool sits, the dirt around it gets muddier, but the tile looks nice! !!
Maybe rebar for decking on Friday. . . And the bug guy wants to come and spray. I told him our back yard is mud city. Next week? !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our plaster company sent a crew that chipped out all the excess mortar and grout that was left over, then they pressure washed the pool and drained it. When the plaster crew showed up they went through with shop vacs and cleaned it again right before they did the plaster.

That's good to know. We have a pressure washer and hubby's been pro active in the yard, digging, putting in brick, stones, and working on drainage. That's great they'll clean everything up before plastering. I figured they would, but the crew is coming from Houston, so I knew they'd be on a time frame. Of course hubby had to remind me sometimes it takes an hour to get thru traffic in Houston, so the 1.5 hours to get to Bryan is nothing. !!

I didn't want it to stand out, so when I'd look at the pool, I'd notice the pool water color and not the tile. I'm sure you've seen catalog pool pictures where all you notice is the tile.
LOL! It’s so funny how people want different things. I want my tile to stand out and not blend with the finish 😄.

Reactions: Girija
Sorry I am so slow. I tend to snuggle down and read in cold weather. Thank goodness for my kindle!
The picture I posted is directly from the Master Tile Catalog. Cut and paste. The colors in the catalog are completely different than in person -- So it's best to view a sample, take it outside, and see it in the sun in your back yard. I was able to do that, but the pool company said I had to return it the next day. *sigh*

I knew the tile was a lot different from online. I knew it had some gray, but I didn't know it'd look so turquoise. What I was shooting for is a medium hue which I did get and it's glazed. (easier cleaning) I didn't want it to stand out, so when I'd look at the pool, I'd notice the pool water color and not the tile. I'm sure you've seen catalog pool pictures where all you notice is the tile. No, I didn't want that. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together -- Primera Stone Sky Blue Treasure is a lighter blue so I think it'll blend well.

I'm dying to plant my plants and get going on the landscaping.

Meanwhile the pool sits, the dirt around it gets muddier, but the tile looks nice! !!
Maybe rebar for decking on Friday. . . And the bug guy wants to come and spray. I told him our back yard is mud city. Next week? !!
Thank you for letting me know! I shouldn't be surprised because I've repeatedly seen how the catalog photos (and even some samples) look different from the manufacturer's current stock. It will be interesting to see what our waterline 6x6 glazed porcelain looks like in the new batch that's shipping from Korea in January! (It's currently out of stock.) I will have yours in mind as a back-up, so thank you for sharing photos! Like you, I am also a big advocate of putting tile samples in the yard to make a selection. It's amazing how different they look vertically, out in the sun! I mentioned in another thread that we're waiting on shotcrete, but just found out the crew has Covid. 🥺 Our backyard is filled with trenches and mounds of loose dirt. The rains (due in a few weeks) are going to reek havoc. I just hope we can get shotcrete before our rebar rusts out!

Reactions: Sollace
Good luck to you on your build and I hope your crew is back and working before the weather changes. We're experiencing that ourselves! Tile from Korea sounds interesting ) Now I need to find your pool build thread!
:ROFLMAO: I had the same thought when I heard the tile was coming from Korea! It's an Aquabella tile.

No new news on the build. No rebar laid out for the decking as they talked about last week. The pool builder is busy up in Caldwell!! (Anyone on here doing a build in Caldwell? !!) Meanwhile hubby put the trash wood from the forms out on the curb tonight for tomorrow's trash pick up. No, he didn't need to do that but I'm glad he did. He's also been picking up around the pool and draining / sweeping the muck on the pool bottom. Our main challenge has been keeping our remaining lawn watered.

We were told our build would be done by New Years Day. We'll see!

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Yesterday a crew came early, unexpectedly, and started the decking forms. They didn't get far. Then equipment was dropped off and it's sitting there. Lots of boxes. Enjoy the pictures )

Attachments

• 12-12-20Poolpad.jpg
    12-12-20Poolpad.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 12-12-20PoolPad2.jpg
    12-12-20PoolPad2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 12-12-20PoolPad3.jpg
    12-12-20PoolPad3.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 12-12-20Decking.jpg
    12-12-20Decking.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 69
It’s all over the place. Hope it doesn’t rain before it’s installed. Ours is wrapped up on pallets in our garage. My husband is ready to have his shop back 😂.

Reactions: Sollace
I would run out there and make sure it is all the correct model numbers and such. THEN see if you can find the paperwork and bring it inside as they may not save it for you or it might get wet. The robot I would bring inside as it does not need to be out there for the pad.

Wonder why they did not do much work on the forms?

It started raining the day they delivered all that stuff and work stopped on the decking rebar. Hubby thinks the delay is because they needed dirt. Well. . . Today they delivered a pile of dirt! I heard the truck backing up and then looked out the window. No workers. Just a pile of dirt out front.

As for the boxes stacked every which way - I had hubby restack them on the pool pad. Yes we had rain. And cold. And more rain. I was more worried about thief, someone coming in the side yard and stealing them. Yes it's been four days and the stuff's still sitting there. Soggy wet boxes.

Kim -- I mentioned that to hubby, about grabbing the instructions for everything out of the boxes but he said no. ?? !! Good advice going out there and grabbing numbers and such. I was surprised they delivered the robot when I read so many builds saying theirs was delivered long after the plaster's been done. I got mine early. . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.