Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

OUCH! I hit my head on the computer monitor when I tried to jump in. Your pool looks too good to resist! I hope you have good security, I can imagine all the neighbors will by jealous!

Thanks Brentr; for the summer kitchen we plan on building a pool house that ties into the pool with a cantilevered roof covering about 6 feet of the pool area around the swim up bar. Temporarily I will be enclosing the columns and complete the arches, pour the pool house foundation and put either a pavilion or most likely a sail shade to create a dining/sports court area behind pool. The sunken patio/grill should be done by Labor Day. Regards.

Thanks no-mas, XS and toady for the kind words. The neighbors will be invited over for a christening considering they helped me by allowin me access to the rear of my property. I will however be installing cameras that tie into monitoring system.

I think that is the most beautiful pool I have ever seen. Amazing job spillmar. I am at a loss for words. I love all the features and lights. How did you get those lights in the stairs? Just amazing.

LOL... the road is the one that goes from Canada to Mexico... I believe you Californians call it "The Five". Although 101 on the coast is prettier.

Dude... any way we can get you to chlorinate sooner than later? A week of no chlorine will make for a pool that needs to be shocked even if it isn't green. Shocking kinda inhibits pool enjoyment, you really don't want that after all your hard work to make it swimable.

If you have an idea of the actual volume, we can help you calculate how much chlorine to add. With no CYA it will burn off fast but at least it'll be in there to keep a bloom at bay till you can get your test kit and a little CYA into the pool. It would be prudent to do the 20ppm CYA right now if there's no major reason not to (ruin something) and that will help hold the chlorine during the day.

The tablets actually will help you keep the pH down at first and since eventually you'll need around 70-80ppm CYA they will help you reach that goal and chlorinate at the same time. But to start, I would strongly recommend liquid chlorine today, not tomorrow or the next day. While pool water is almost always fixable and we know swamps can become sparkly clean with the information taught here... it would be a very sad day at TFP if we had to put your pool into the "being shocked" category and have to dedicate a whole new thread to helping you clear the pool.

If I was near you, I'd offer to come and run tests and help with the chlorination. If you want to get on this today, just ask here, we're all ready to assist.

In fact, I just ran the pool calculator for 44000 gallons (isn't that what you're thinking?) and with no CYA all you'll need for right now is about 2.5 gallons of bleach. Easy schmeezy dude. Cost about 6 bux for the first dose. It says you'll need 7 pounds 5 oz of CYA (20ppm), that is available at walmart labled as stabilizer/conditioner. Get two containers (each is 4 pounds). If you do the CYA and chlorine together, another gallon of bleach will be required to start it up but that will also allow you to keep at least 2ppm in reserve every day. Daily dose will be around 2 gallons after the CYA, or you can buy a big bucket of trichlor tablets and put those in floaters to maintain the chlorine (which are at least 10 bux each, Nightmare says to float four of those suckers so that's 40 bux in floaters alone, sorry. Maybe someone can loan you the floaters cuz you won't need them after this start up period).

OK, I hope this helps and also that you don't mind me freakin on your chlorine or lack thereof. I really don't think the plaster dust issue matters insofar as chlorination. It'll be there after the chlorine and you'll still need to do the brushing regardless.

Here, lemme get my toy out... doing this with my top on btw. I'll take it off after you get the chlorine added but only if you're a good boy.

<spillmar> :whip:

spillmar said:
Thanks Frogabog - rushing to the store now :-
I will add chlorine today. I appreciate that nightmare.

You'd better....looks like you'll be getting a fun PM from frog once you have it dosed. :lol:

Think Ill head home right now and get some bleach in mine too.
:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Dang...when I saw the night pictures I kinda started tearing up...in a good way. Waaaahhh!! It's just so dang beautiful....I'm so happy for you. Can picture you guys having a blast in it. I'll go make a celebratory adult beverage right now!! :cheers:

Spillmar, that is truly a Herculean diy project! Well done Sir!! :goodjob: The attention to the details and quality of the craftsmanship is top notch. It is obvious you were very meticulous with your planning and design. It turned out simply awesome! Congratulations to you and your family on your new backyard oasis!! :cheers: :party:

Thanks Pisces for the kind words and best wishes. Means alot. Once the swim up bar and sunken outdoor kitchen are completed I will post a picture of my own margarita.

Thanks Rob; there are some more items to complete but we are there. Thanks for the nice compliments.

Thanks Jake, kind of you to respond and am grateful for the well wishes.

Spillmar, beautiful pool! I like you did it myself! Lots of legwork and phone calls but in the end when your soaking in your pool with a frozen adult beverage it is all worth it! I enjoy stuff I do myself even more! When you get a chance I would like to see your finished equipment pad. The is where the art work comes in in my opinion! That is some pad by the way! I'll bet your electric bill is the same as mine and i only have 2 pumps!

Thanks Max. I will post a picture of the pad when we finish cleanup. Thank you for the compliment.

BTW I went to a pool supply liquidator yesterday and found some old above ground fiber optic kits for $30 each. They were marked at a price originally of $240. Although the illuminator was sub-par, each came with 60 feet of side glow cable which will be perfect for the spa and the swim up bar counter. I will install it this weekend. Regards.

Okay, so I chlorinated, ran the filter for 72 hours straight and the water is crystal clear. I also bought a huge bucket of triChlor tabs and some floaters. So far so good. I also purchased a kit and will be testing to make sure the Ph stays where it should be per the plaster manufacture guidelines for the remainder of the recommended 30 day cure period.

This weekend I finished the sunken patio and grill area, completing the paver floor and drain system. I will be either pouring a concrete counter or purchasing a granite top. The backs plash will be glass tile so it ties into the pool and the face of the BBQ will be the same slate stone on the columns. I also purchased a nice ice maker that makes up to 50 lbs per day and a small fridge, all stainless to match the enclosed stainless cabinets I purchased a couple weeks ago.

While browsing on craigslist I did find a used but in excellent pool slide for about $750. This is the G-Force by Interfab as shown below. It will be a surprise for the girls. All said the pool is done except for the swim up counter and installing some perimeter fiber around swim up bar and spa.

I'll post some more pictures soon of the finished grill area as well as the pad and the installed slide.

Attachments

• Gforce.jpg
    Gforce.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 364

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.