Aug 3, 2021
Franklin Square, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

Apologies if i am posting in a wrong thread. I searched quite few threads. While I did find some but was not able to come to a conclusion.

I just got the Saltwater 8000 pool installed back in July. Contractor used sod cutter and leveled the soil and then put the fine sand for bedding.

They cut the sod approx 1 ft extra, however this 1ft extra is pitched inward toward the pool. If it rains, water seeps under liner and pulls the sand out. See first pic. After a research on the forum, I got a 6 mil liner for two reasons a) install the 6 mil plastic in 90 deg (L) shape fashion to prevent pool wall corrosion b) allow me to put dirt next to pool wall to creat outward slope. This was done based on some mixed instructions I received from few folks at Home Depot and Internet search.

Now water doesn't exactly go under as much as it did, but water stands on top of the plastic leaving dirt super watery and soft/moist and a) smells bad like stalled water, b) brings mosquitos. (See pic 2)

I am now removing dirt from the side of the pool.

My questions are as follow?
1) what can I do to backfill?
2) how do I put the 6 mill plastic L shape or I shape?
3) after putting plastic, do I put sand to create a coving outside the pool?
4) if yes to #3, do I put back dirt or skip dirt and put rocks straight?

Please help. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Attachments

• PXL_20210724_191318747~2.jpg
    PXL_20210724_191318747~2.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20210824_132843625.MP~3-01.jpeg
    PXL_20210824_132843625.MP~3-01.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
do you know if the cove inside your pool is foam or sand? I would be a little worried about the sand washing out, especially if your cove is sand.

keep looking around there are posts about fixing drainage issues, usually make a trench and bury perforated pipe wrapped in landscape fabric that drains to some lower location. cover with gravel or backfil. but wait for better advice than I have. I live in the desert where it doesn't rain much.

The cove is a foam cove, then it's covered with sand then floor padding then liner. Attached is the picture of myself removing dirt I put. I guess, for now I'll lift away the dirt.

I need next steps

Attachments

• PXL_20210826_004646636.jpg
    PXL_20210826_004646636.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 19
For those who are in a limbo like me. I called my installer and he said to avoid direct dirt, it will cause corrosion. He did said use tar paper or 6 mil plastic as a barrier in between wall and foreign product (soil, sand, or rocks). So you want to cut the size of 6 mil and wrap around the pool. Then put little sand to make an external coving and drop some rocks/dirt.

Thank you all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.