Intex's anti-sand stand - reason for concern?

Dynastol

Jun 23, 2023
Los Angeles
I had to level my driveway in preparation for the pool - which I did with mason sand (took me weeks).
Now I'm about to put up my pool and I'm getting from Intex's support a very stern "We are not recommending sand in any shape or form". Do I need to be concerned?

Need to understand more about what you did. Sand is fine in a thin layer over a leveled surface to provide cushion, but it‘s not an appropriate foundation for your pool - for that you need firm, level ground, done by digging high areas down to the same level of the lowest point.

Can you explain more about the driveway?

The frame could make the difference. Notice I said could. The sand can wash out over time from rain and such.

Did you put the sand in the frame a couple of inches at a time and compact it?

Sand can give from the weight of the pool and water.

What are you putting under the legs to help keep them from sinking into the sand?

Yep, the frame makes a difference! Can we see a photo of the base you’ve created?

Oh man, I'm glad you are saying that - I'm kind of committed now after all the money and time I've put in, and in terms of spousal moral support that's running out fast... :)
I did hand-compact the layers in between. It took a long time, though, so the sand kind of dried out. I wonder if I have to spray it with some water for the final compacting pass?
Under the stands I'm going to use the 15"x15" pressure treated wood pieces Intex is suggesting.
I'm attaching a picture from this morning.

Attachments

• Pool Frame copy.jpg
    Pool Frame copy.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 10
You want the blocks’ top edges to be even with your base, so you don’t have any sharp edges sticking out next to your liner. Wouldn’t hurt to spray it down again and make sure it’s level. What are the blocks in the middle for?

Aha! I would have leveled to the bottom of the blocks to save sand, but I did wonder about those sharp edges. The problem is just that I don't know if I have enough sand to level to the top of the blocks - 1.5" higher over that amount of square footage is a kind of a huge amount of sand. Is there maybe some other strategy to protect the liner from the edges of the blocks? Foam or something?
I just put the ones in the middle to help with leveling - I'd take them out before the pool comes in...

Ah! Ok, the ones in the middle threw me. 😉

You can sink the blocks rather than trying to build up to them, can’t you?

Some people put foam pad down on top of sand. I used a gorilla pad since I was also concerned about tough weeds, but you won’t have that issue since you are going on top of driveway.

I can't sink them any more because there's concrete underneath, unfortunately. I was planning to put down styrofoam but then I read about how you need extruded styrofoam, not expanded styrofoam, and that got so crazy expensive that I gave up on that an ordered a Rhino Pad instead.
Maybe I can use pieces of pool noodle around the edge of the block to protect the pool from cuts?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.