Pondering Automation Changes - valve circuit limitations

kpischel

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi. I have a Pentair Easytouch (520593), Intellichem, Intellichlor, ScreenLogic. These were new roughly 5 years ago. Two automated valves (one to switch vacuum side cleaner on and off; one to switch between returns and scuppers). Everything worked great until last fall when I installed first a Raypack heatpump (model 8450), then a pentair propane heater (model 460737). As a result of these additions the valve controller for the cleaner was coopted in some way for the heaters... not really sure what they did. In any event the cleaner circuit is essentially disabled. To get around this the pool guy(s) simply set the cleaner to run full time (valve split between cleaner/main drain/skimmer) and goosed up the "pool" speed setting. I really liked having the cleaner run separately 1.5 hrs per day, dedicated (less wear and tear on the cleaner vs 24/7); and having the "pool" run at low RPM 24/7 when no demand for more RPMs (such as when the heater(s) were running (believe when running those there is a commensurate goosing of RPM associated with those circuits). My pool guy says my controller is limited to two valve circuits... so can't reconnect the cleaner to its dedicated valve circuit.

What might be a work around? Future addition of in ground soaking tub is possible requiring additional controlled valves. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kirk

The only problem with that is the valve association to the existing circuit. When you turn on said circuit you would expect the valve to rotate for that circuit. What I described above does that for you. It doesn't matter where it gets triggered from. The Raspberry Pi will monitor the circuits on ET and throw the appropriate valve relays. This all occurs in a matter of milliseconds from the time the command is sent to EasyTouch. The number of valves you can have is limited by the number of miles of pipe you have.

@1poolman1

The ET only has two user programable valve drivers A and B.. The other two valve driver are for moving the Intake and Return valves only.
Obviously, you can connect anything to the Intake and Return drivers, but they will only move if you switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode. If you have no spa, you can make them turn a valve simple by going to the Spa mode..

As far as I know, you can't "reprogram" them to act like valves A and B... If you know how, please let us in on your secret...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.