Polaris PB4SQ Leaking from Housing Screw

Apr 26, 2018
Orlando
Hi all, I have a leaking pump but I do not believe it's a cracked issue as seems to be the norm with this model. I am wondering if this is just a case of a failed seal?

- Water was squirting out of the bottom left housing screw, circled red below
- no housing cracks are visible
- the bottom right screw took 5 mins to remove
- The bottom left screw, where the water was leaking took 20 mins to remove. Was very difficult and not just to initially loosen. I had to use plyers and a hammer on every turn!
- Pump is 10 months old. Polaris won't help me at all since I installed it and not a "professional"
- black O ring feels drier than I would expect, maybe the issue?

Do I just need to replace the two O-rings and lubricate before installing the housing? Also, do I need to clean the screws before using again, or use any sealant/lubrication with the screws?

Thanks in advance!

It was only leaking out of this screw hole
1646174145849.png

Housing is not cracked anywhere I can see
1646174202064.png

View from the otherside. You can see the minerals from where the water leaked past the seal

1646174233040.png

Housing view from the inside. No cracks.
1646174260987.png

The bottom two screws were in the bottom of the housing. Notice the corrosion and mineral buildup. These screws took 20 minutes to remove!
1646174305862.png

Pull the "O" ring, clean the area it sits in, apply a small amount of pool lube (not Vaseline) to the ring, just enough to make it shiny. Clean the bolts with a wire brush. Though I've heard a thousand arguments against it, I always put a small amount of lube on the bolts and have never had one fail to hold if properly tightened. That doesn't mean crush the "O" ring. Tighten enough to prevent it leaking. At 10 months the ring should not have to be replaced unless it is warped, flattened, etc.

Pull the "O" ring, clean the area it sits in, apply a small amount of pool lube (not Vaseline) to the ring, just enough to make it shiny. Clean the bolts with a wire brush. Though I've heard a thousand arguments against it, I always put a small amount of lube on the bolts and have never had one fail to hold if properly tightened. That doesn't mean crush the "O" ring. Tighten enough to prevent it leaking. At 10 months the ring should not have to be replaced unless it is warped, flattened, etc.

Appreciate the advice. Do you think super lube would work rather than pool lube? I already have a tube of super.

1646183240006.png

Reactions: kevin007
Try this, yeah its pricy, but a little goes a very long way. I go through about a tube a year, but deal with many pools during that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.