Polaris PB4SQ - Failed, what are you replacing with?

Yeller989

Jul 13, 2019
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Unfortunately my 3 year old (6 months out of warranty) Polaris PB4SQ started leaking. I bought a seal kit, pulled it apart, and found an explosion of nasty corrosion. It appears the shaft seal let salt water past the “wet” area, then the heat had some sort of chemical reaction causing paint to bubble. I’m going replace seals from my kit, however I have zero confidence this “fix” will last a few months.

My pool builder will happy charge $1,100 to install a new PB4SQ. Since these things are prone to failure, what is everyone buying? BTW, I really like having a pump-driven cleaner vs a robot.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my 3 year old (6 months out of warranty) Polaris PB4SQ started leaking. I bough a seal kit, pulled it apart, and found an explosion of nasty corrosion. It appears the shaft seal let salt water past the “wet” area, then the heat had some sort of chemical reaction causing paint to bubble. I’m going replace seals from my kit, however I have zero confidence this “fix” will last a few months.

My pool builder will happy charge $1,100 to install a new PB4SQ. Since these things are prone to failure, what is everyone buying? BTW, I really like having a pump-driven cleaner vs a robot.
Get PB4-60 at Leslie's or Amazon for $399. Swapping is easy if you have at least some basic electrical skills. PB-4SQ has issues reported by many pool owners.

Reactions: Yeller989
Thanks for the feedback hexabc and Saturn94, I'll check out PB4-60 and Hayward 6060.

I'm assuming the Hayward OmniLogic electrical panel doesn't need to be "reprogrammed" since the booster pump is a simple on/off motor.

There's the Pentair LA-MS05 Boost-Rite pump that you can also consider. Any yes, these pumps are driven off the same relay in your OmniLogic.

Last edited:
Pentair also has the LA01N Booster Pump

The PB4SQ and LA-MA05 claim greater energy efficiency But considering that you only run the booster pump for a few hours a day at most I question how much value there is to that versus a proven standard 3/4 HP booster pump.

I converted my pressure line to suction (at the pad), and now run a Pentair Rebel (suction-side vac)l. No more booster! And no more dragging out the vac to clean its tiny bag!

I've noticed no difference in the cleanliness of my pool. Running the Rebel is part of my filtering process, too, so I don't have to run my main pump as much. It sucks water into my filter just like my skimmer, so it's filtering water while picking up the "big stuff." Win-win-win.

Dirk, what's involved in the conversion? I thought that pressure side pipe diameter is too small for suction side use.

I think Allen has a valid point, but below are the energy savings that you can expect to determine if that is worthwhile.

Polaris PB4SQ and Pentair Boost Rite both use about 45% less energy than a standard booster. Tested with a true watt meter on several occassions to show customers.

Dirk, what's involved in the conversion? I thought that pressure side pipe diameter is too small for suction side use.

I think Allen has a valid point, but below are the energy savings that you can expect to determine if that is worthwhile.
Some pool builders used 1.5" plumbing all the way to the dedicated cleaner port in a pool. They can be used for suction or pressure cleaners depending on what comes out of the ground. Others, like mine, have 3/4" plumbing coming out of the ground that can't be converted to suction-type cleaners. Other builders used 3/4" - 1" plumbing all the way to the pool as they never intended anything other than the original Arneson Pool Sweep to be used (Polaris wasn't out yet).

Reactions: guinness
^^^ What 1p1 said. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Mine is 1.5“ pad to port. A plumber just put a three-way Jandy valve in front of my pump and connected the skimmer on one side and the vac pipe on the other. My main drain line was never run to the pad, so that was never involved, and I later removed my drain altogether, so my plumbing is simple.

I had trouble balancing the suction between vac and skimmer, as no adjustment of the three-way valve would allow both to function optimally at the same time (not without running the pump at a crazy RPM). So I added an actuator and my automation turns that valve when I want to vacuum. Now both skimmer and vac work at peak performance with a minimum of pump RPM.

Because a suction port on the side of your pool can be a dangerous thing, you need a special port cover. It snaps shut should the hose get dislodged. I took it one step farther and adjusted that three-way valve such that when in skimmer mode, the skimmer gets 100% of the suction (vac is off). But in vac mode, the vac only gets 80% and the skimmer gets 20%. The valve can't be turned to shut off the skimmer completely. I'm hoping that should the worst happen, and someone gets sucked to the vac port, that the suction would be relieved enough by the 20% that they wouldn't get trapped (or eviscerated, which is more than possible with a 3HP pump). Unfortunately I don't have any way to test any of that, but I figure some possible protection is better than none.

To further protect from this entrapment possibility, I only run the vac in the middle of the night. So between that schedule, the 80-20 safeguard, and the special port cover, I feel that suction port is as safe as it needs to be.

That was a long-winded explanation of some of the things to consider if switching from a pressure port to a suction port. The suction port under your skimmer basket is pretty darn safe. Drains are worse, but have been made safer by the mandatory twin-drain safety regulations. But a vacuum suction port, located just a few inches below the surface, pretty much at stomach level for a kid, is the least safe of all. Just something to be aware of.

Reactions: guinness

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I converted my pressure line to suction (at the pad), and now run a Pentair Rebel (suction-side vac)l. No more booster! And no more dragging out the vac to clean its tiny bag!

I've noticed no difference in the cleanliness of my pool. Running the Rebel is part of my filtering process, too, so I don't have to run my main pump as much. It sucks water into my filter just like my skimmer, so it's filtering water while picking up the "big stuff." Win-win-win.
Hey Dirk, I’m assuming you’re getting a bunch of leaves and pool bottom junk sucked directly to your cartridge filters versus caught in bag (at the pool). All that debris stays in the water until you clean the filter, breaking down and potentially impacting your chemicals.

We get a ton of leaves during fall so it feels like nearly every day the bag has to be cleared, I can’t imagine all this getting sucked to the filter and staying there until it’s cleaned (every three months).

Do you have any chemical imbalance issues?

Be sure to get an in-line leaf trap if you haven't already. You'll be glad you did.

Hey Dirk, I’m assuming you’re getting a bunch of leaves and pool bottom junk sucked directly to your cartridge filters versus caught in bag (at the pool). All that debris stays in the water until you clean the filter, breaking down and potentially impacting your chemicals.

We get a ton of leaves during fall so it feels like nearly every day the bag has to be cleared, I can’t imagine all this getting sucked to the filter and staying there until it’s cleaned (every three months).

Do you have any chemical imbalance issues?
1p1 beat me to it. You can use an inline trap to minimize what gets to the pad. But you're forgetting about the pump's basket. That's where most of my leaves end up. It's still something to clean, but it's a heck of a lot easier cleaning that basket than it is dragging out a pressure-side vac to clean its bag.

But you're absolutely right, a suction-side vac does put some added gunk in the filter. I figure that's what it's for! I clean my filter once a year, and I once went two years and the cartridges were not even fully covered, let alone full. I would say I have a much lower than average "gunk load." My pool is relatively clean. I do get leaves in the fall, but like I said they end up in pump basket. Actually, most of them end up in the skimmer basket, as my skimmer works well, so the majority of leaves never make it to the bottom of the pool.

I owe all this to the original landscaper who, by design or accident, planted very pool friendly plants around my pool. It's quite a forest, but most of it is evergreen and just doesn't shed all that much. If you're having trouble with certain plants making your pool cleaning tasks a pain, well, then get rid of the plants! Seriously. Replace plants until you don't have to work so hard. There are varieties out there that just work better with a pool.

Having experience with only one pool, I imagine other pools must vary in terms of how well a suction vac would work. And I expect they wouldn't work well at all if the pool's bottom was getting regularly trashed by something that was smaller than the grid of the pump's basket. So maybe some other type of vac would be better.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Oh, and no, I don't feel my chemistry is unduly affected by my suction vac and what gets into the filter. It must be affecting it some, because it is in there getting chewed by chlorine, but I have an SWG and it maintains my FC and I don't feel I'm running it excessively.

Reactions: Yeller989
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.