Polaris 280 Hose Replacement

Jun 13, 2017
Austin, TX
Hello, I’ve spent way too much time unwinding my Polaris hose (loads in the winter which is understandable given the colder water making the hose stiffer, but even this summer when the water is warm), and last year i replaced the swivels, so I’m thinking the hose might be the problem, maybe they just need replacing once in a while (if so, how often?). So my question is.... online i see there’s a soft hose (D50) and a hard hose (D45) - am i supposed to use both types, but at different places in my overall hose? I can’t find any guidance on Polaris/Zodiac’s site. I currently have a 10’ hose (with 4 floats spaced out) going from the wall to a swivel, then a 4’ hose (with 1 float) to the next swivel, then a 3’ hose (with 1 float) to the backup valve, then another 2.5’ hose to the Polaris 280. Hopefully this makes sense. I’d love to garner expertise from anyone who’s replaced hoses before and what you used, and also thoughts on how my hose is configured, if you see any problems with this layout.
Thanks so much!

Just buy 50 feet of the soft hose. Measure the length of your existing hose and cut to length. New swivels are good. If the floats still float, re-use them. I have had my pool 13 years and I replaced the hose when I did a full rebuild on the 280, about 3-4 years ago. So, hose lasts 9-10 years. It get stiff in the UV and chlorine.

Just buy 50 feet of the soft hose. Measure the length of your existing hose and cut to length. New swivels are good. If the floats still float, re-use them. I have had my pool 13 years and I replaced the hose when I did a full rebuild on the 280, about 3-4 years ago. So, hose lasts 9-10 years. It get stiff in the UV and chlorine.
Thanks red-beard! I’ve searched online & Amazon and see nothing longer than 10’, so I’ll grab 2 of those unless you know of a supplier that might sell longer hoses...? I appreciate your help!

TBH, mine got noticably stiffer after 14 years of daily sun exposure. I bought an aftermarket one and it was very stiff compared to polaris‘. In the summer it’s fine but winter not so much. Unless you can find the specific hose, I’d just bite the bullet on The over-priced polaris one and be done.

TBH, mine got noticably stiffer after 14 years of daily sun exposure. I bought an aftermarket one and it was very stiff compared to polaris‘. In the summer it’s fine but winter not so much. Unless you can find the specific hose, I’d just bite the bullet on The over-priced polaris one and be done.
Thank you - i thought about that (Polaris vs saving a couple bucks) and figured quality was key so i had already ordered Polaris, so i should be set. I leave my Polaris in 24/7/365 and i get 8 hrs/day of hot Texas sun, so i bet this will make a difference. Thanks!

Reactions: Rossterman
The key to a tangle free hose is the overall length and the length of each section. I struggled with this and then found several u-tube videos about proper measurement of hoses. See my PDF attached of my Excel sheet (site does not allow Excel files to be attached) I used to properly size my hoses. You can see my "existing" before I started and then my finished length. I did some variables just to determine what it may look like. It required me to cut 56 inches of hose off, plus I added a swivel. I now have trouble free cleaner.

Attachments

• Polaris Hose Length Calculations Excel.pdf
    413 KB · Views: 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The key to a tangle free hose is the overall length and the length of each section. I struggled with this and then found several u-tube videos about proper measurement of hoses. See my PDF attached of my Excel sheet (site does not allow Excel files to be attached) I used to properly size my hoses. You can see my "existing" before I started and then my finished length. I did some variables just to determine what it may look like. It required me to cut 56 inches of hose off, plus I added a swivel. I now have trouble free cleaner.
Thank you thank you, I’ll read through this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.