Polaris 280 confused

jerryk1234

Bronze Supporter
Jan 22, 2018
Hayward, CA
All,

Our Polaris 280 - and our pool - are about 2 years old. Recently, the 280 seems to be....confused. I seem to remember that the big pod in the hose - the one that squirts water - used to float. Are they supposed to float? At this time, it doesn't. The 280 keeps sort of tripping over itself and getting tangled in its hose.

If I remember mine, that thing is sometimes just below the surface, and more on the surface when it is squirting. It depends on how stretched-out the hose is at the time (how close or far away the cleaner is from the pressure port in the wall). The tangling might be due to grit in the hose joints. Those are supposed to swivel easily to avoid tangling. If they get bound up or stuck, you'll get the spider web. A too-long hose will also cause problems. The manual should describe how to properly adjust the length of the hose.

Does the booster pump appear to be working?

Below is the parts diagram for the 280. Which parts are “the big pod in the hose - the one that squirts water - used to float.?”

Pull your 280 out of the water and post pics of it so we can see the condition.

Allen, the referenced part is not in the vac, it's in the hose. So it's not in that diagram. It periodically squirts water to drag the vac in the opposite direction it normally travels. This resets its path, primarily to back it out of corners it might get stuck in.

Here's a good video that describes the gizmo, how to adjust it, and how to adjust the hose length I was describing:

That gizmo is the backup valve. It does not float by itself but there should be floats on the hose around it.

This wiki page discusses how the backup valve operates - Polaris Pool Cleaners - Further Reading

The Polaris manual describes how the floats on the hose should be setup.

Adjust the float behind the back up valve away approx 12 - 18" from the back up valve (the closer the float is the higher the cleaner will lift towards the pool surface, the further away the cleaner will be pulled along the pool floor).

Post pics of the 280 with the hose laid out..

Another thing to mention is that if the hose is stiff it can cause tangles, but this is more of an issue in colder weather. Since your Polaris is only 2 years old that would be less likely, but I'd thought it was worth mentioning for others that are reading this thread.

I am jumping on this late but would like to stress the importance of proper hose length to avoid tangles. That video referenced earlier made mention of it but if you search on u-tube for guidance on hose lengths you will find many others. Also, the length from the cleaner to the backup valve is important as well as placement of swivels (recommend at least 2 usually) and floats (2-3 per hose). I redid mine and had significant improvement (less tangles).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.