Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am helping a neighbor redo some plumbing that is 15 years old. His return has a valve that allows the floor drains to be redirected to the returns. So instead of being floor drains, they actually return water to the pool. Not sure why this would be like this but I am thinking about removing this "feature" when I re-plumb everything. Any thoughts on that?

2nd issue is his returns in general. He has 1 return (1 pipe with 2 outlets on the wall of his pool) and a pressure vacuum port return. He has 2, 3-way valves between all this. Valve #1 directs water between the vacuum return and the wall return until the pressure port gauge is where it needs to be for the vacuum. Valve #2 is to direct water to the floor drain returns mentioned above. I am of a mind to just put in 1 3-way valve and remove the above setup. I see no reason to ever be able to turn off his only return. Anyone have any comments on this?

Your plan makes sense to me. I'm wondering if someone in the past needed to backflush the main drain due to a blockage, and that valve made sense for them at the time. If there's no dedicated pump for the pressure cleaner, there may have been times they wanted to send all the flow to the pressure cleaner. If it was mine, I'd be getting rid of the pressure cleaner including any potential to have one, lol.

Here is the plumbing I am making my plan. I will keep the plumbing from the heater back around the filter to the SWG since I replaced all that last year. Everything else gets replaced. I am torn whether to keep that extra valve that allows the floor drains to be returns. He has never used this functionality since the pool was new 15 years ago. You can see the new pump and multiport on the left. 20190422_103215.jpg20190422_103250.jpg20190422_103256.jpg

The pad needs to be mostly re-plumbed due to replacing the multiport and the pump. While we are in there we are taking the opportunity to remove the old tab feeder too. Since there is no room to re-use the same valves, he is ordering 4 new Jandy valves. So may as well do everything.

I am planning on removing both of the check valves you can see in the picture (and not putting them back). Does anyone see a need for a check valve in this setup? I know the 2nd one isn't working anyway since we found the internals for it in the multiport valve. The first one doesn't really hold the water back either it is totally worn out. The equipment pad is @ 3 feet higher than the pool if that makes any difference.

They are useful when the pump basket is cleaned out. Or, the pool owner can remember to close the Jandy valves so the lines will not drain back to the pool when the pump lid is opened.

They are useful when the pump basket is cleaned out. Or, the pool owner can remember to close the Jandy valves so the lines will not drain back to the pool when the pump lid is opened.

I think the first one in line before the pump suction port would help keep the line primed for pump basket cleanouts, but what purpose does the 2nd one do (between the pump pressure port and the multiport)?

Wow, someone in the past really liked valves!! Those can be re-used by the way, with a bit of handy-work removing the PVC, and/or you can buy valve bodies and re-use the internals, cap and handles.

The check valve between pump and filter might have been thought to avoid having the filter drain back toward the pump, but the suction from the returns (when the pump lid is off) pulls most of the water toward the pool. Some gurgles back, but it's generally not a big deal.

You can do it all with no check valves if you like. One on the suction line isn't a bad idea if you're 3 feet higher than the pool, but the pump would still prime without it, just taking longer. As Marty mentions, being able to close a valve does the same thing, but needs to be re-opened after.

I agree with you and would not re-plumb it enabling suction through pool returns, or pressurizing the main drain. I think it's too much chance for mistaken valve setting, so having a third return jet (or water feature) is probably a good way to go.

Is your neighbor adding a saltwater chlorinator?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.