Plumbing a legacy system: 1.5" vs 2"

lplatz

Jun 20, 2019
Royce City, Texas
I can only hope this question has not be discussed to the point of ad nauseam, however, I'll take my chances. 🤞🙏 I've been getting coached on this site regarding my upcoming install of a T-CELL-15 SWG. So far so good. While taking a closer look at my existing plumbing, I discovered both my suction line to the pump and the line out to the jet are both 1.5" lines (I thought they were 2"). I've decided to replace the line-out plumbing between the filter and pool because the previous SWG (T-CELL-5) was installed horizontally just off the filter. One (1) it was too small for the pool and Two (2) it was suppose to be installed vertically at the jet. Overall a poor / sloppy job. With that lead up... here is the Question: Should I stay with the existing 1.5" line out to the pool or up-size to a 2" line? At this time I am not entertaining up-sizing the suction line. This would require replacing the skimmer basket because the existing PVC is glued to the skimmer basket. I'd like to put that off until we replace the liner in 3 to 5 years. I look forward to your feedback / ideas.

Attachments

• T-CELL-5 current.01.jpg
    T-CELL-5 current.01.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 9
  • T-CELL-5 current.02.jpg
    T-CELL-5 current.02.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 9
  • T-CELL-5 current.03.jpg
    T-CELL-5 current.03.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 9
You will see no operational difference between using 1.5" or 2". Do whatever is easiest for you.

Thank you ajw22. Since the Unions for the SWG are 2", I've decided to install a 2" line... which leads me to a follow-up question for this thread. As part of the complete replacement of the return side plumbing, I'm going to replace the return jet. I have hit another wall in determining the proper size of the return jet opening. It appears they come in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes. Once that is cleared up, I need to be certain the return jet fixture will fit a 2" PVC line in. The fixture I'm considering is the Hayward SP1419C.

The Hayward SP1419C is made to screw into a 1.5" threaded PVC pipe. Reduce the 2" pipe to connect to the threaded 1.5" pipe in your return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.