Please help with my GREEN MONSTER!!

I’m not sure what Walmart charges for chlorine, but being here in Wisconsin chances are you’re not terribly far from a Menard’s. I buy my chlorine there, $3.99/gallon for 12.5%.

Was the sample cloudy at all when you were looking at the dot or did it stay clear the entire time?
I've been looking everywhere! I just found some at farm and fleet that I bought online for pickup.

The water stayed clear, but my pool itself is cloudy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_162903366.jpg
    IMG_20210723_162903366.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 23
I’m not sure what Walmart charges for chlorine, but being here in Wisconsin chances are you’re not terribly far from a Menard’s. I buy my chlorine there, $3.99/gallon for 12.5%.
Woodman’s in Waukesha has 4 packs of 12.5% for $10 :)

I know my CH and TA are super high, and my FC and CC are low/none. Should I even waste the test reagents by checking them before doing a SLAM? Or should I just do the SLAM first and then check/adjust everything? I want to lower my pH before though, right?

TA: 340
CH: turned purple. I started over and added the five drops of R-0012 right away, it still turned purple after 1 drop of R-0010. I don't have any distilled water to test again.

My CYA is fully dissolved now. Only took a couple of squeezes today to finish it off 😃

TA and CH don’t matter for slam. Lower your PH to 7.2. Your CYA is registering. Target what it’s supposed to be (after adding) and SLAM away per the FC/CYA Levels (y)

TA and CH don’t matter for slam. Lower your PH to 7.2. Your CYA is registering. Target what it’s supposed to be (after adding) and SLAM away per the FC/CYA Levels (y)
I don't know my exact pH because it maxed out. Should I just use 8.0 to start and retest after (so, 5lbs of pH Down)? How long after?

Also, I only need to wait 10 minutes after getting my pH good to start the SLAM, right?

I finally got the kit! Is there any certain order that I should run the tests? Do I use any plastic bottle to collect the sample water, or can I just use the cya bottle to collect and fill the test tubes?
This is the ONE THING the pool store is good for. They give you a free sample bottle!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been looking everywhere! I just found some at farm and fleet that I bought online for pickup.

The water stayed clear, but my pool itself is cloudy.
The cloudiness is the dead algae. I'd suggest getting through the SLAM procedure as others have said. I can't tell from your signature if your filter is a sand or cartridge. As you progress through the SLAM, you'll need to clean the filer often, whenever it reaches 25% over the clean pressure.

On the SWG, you'll need an accurate Salt Reading. The K2006 does not come with the salt test. You'll need a Taylor K-1766. My SWG has a Salt PPM reading. I use that most of the time and just "calibrate" my reading with the Kit a few times a year. While you don't want to run the SWG during the SLAM, you will need that test kit when the time comes to adjust salt level.

Well, technically you can run the SWG during the SLAM, but you cannot run it while doing the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss test). OCLT is one of the criteria to end a SLAM. And remember, is is safe to SWIM during a SLAM, as long as the FC does not exceed the SLAM FC level.

The cloudiness is the dead algae. I'd suggest getting through the SLAM procedure as others have said. I can't tell from your signature if your filter is a sand or cartridge. As you progress through the SLAM, you'll need to clean the filer often, whenever it reaches 25% over the clean pressure.

On the SWG, you'll need an accurate Salt Reading. The K2006 does not come with the salt test. You'll need a Taylor K-1766. My SWG has a Salt PPM reading. I use that most of the time and just "calibrate" my reading with the Kit a few times a year. While you don't want to run the SWG during the SLAM, you will need that test kit when the time comes to adjust salt level.
Thanks, just grabbed the kit for exp. delivery 7/29-8/03 ... I need to leave my SWG off that long then until I know exactly how much salt to add? Or can I add some so she'll run again right away, and then test and raise when the kit comes?

Oh no!!! Too late! 😭
Well, don’t use more. :) Sulfates will build up in the water. You want to use muriatic acid. Store it away from anything metal. It takes heat and cold well, so a plastic tub or container outdoors is a fine place to keep it. Anything metal near it will rust quickly. I store mine with some cheap plastic measuring cups for measuring.

Add the acid as indicated to bring 8.0 down to 7.2, let mix for 30 minutes or so, test again. When you start getting below 8.0, then you can do one last addition to bring it down to 7.2 and then you can start the SLAM Process

Well, don’t use more. :) Sulfates will build up in the water. You want to use muriatic acid. Store it away from anything metal. It takes heat and cold well, so a plastic tub or container outdoors is a fine place to keep it. Anything metal near it will rust quickly. I store mine with some cheap plastic measuring cups for measuring.

Add the acid as indicated to bring 8.0 down to 7.2, let mix for 30 minutes or so, test again. When you start getting below 8.0, then you can do one last addition to bring it down to 7.2 and then you can start the SLAM Process
😬 I'm a little concerned about using liquid acid. Is it normally just a small amount used at a time?

Thanks, just grabbed the kit for exp. delivery 7/29-8/03 ... I need to leave my SWG off that long then until I know exactly how much salt to add? Or can I add some so she'll run again right away, and then test and raise when the kit comes?
You could try adding enough salt for 100-200 ppm at a time to see if that makes it work. Make sure the SWG is off when adding salt. Sweep it around to dissolve it and then run pump for a few hours before trying the SWG.
You can add more salt, but adding too much means a partial drain and refill. Or waiting for lots of rain.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.