Please help- very high chlorine

May 26, 2018
Frankfort, IL
We had a 14,500 gallon fiberglass SWG completed last August, kept it open until October last year. We had our pool guys open it up in April but being in Chicago, our weather was awful and we really didn't open it up until a couple of weeks ago. Our free chlorine level has been sky high (reading 10 on our available testing at home, 15 at the pool store when I took the sample in). The person at the pool store said just open it up and the sun will burn it off or you can try Chem-Out. I did a couple of pretty good doses of ChemOut without a difference and we have been leaving the pool open every day unless it's raining. Today was the first super sunny day in a week and I was hopeful but after 7 hours of direct sunlight, still no change. Our SWG does not have the ability (that I'm aware of) to change chlorine %, it has those pH and ORP probes instead.

Our CYA is super low (like 25), not sure if that is related. The pool person said bring the chlorine down, then deal with the rest of the chemistry.

Obviously, this is super new to us and I feel so dumb right now. The learning curve is steep over here. Please help...

What test kit do you use at home?

With your CYA of 30 (we round up) CL levels up to shock level at FC/CYA Levels are safe to swim in. That is 12 for CYA 30.

Please put details about your equipment and test kit in your signature. We need to know what type of SWG you have. You will not get your CL down if your SWG continues to generate chlorine.

I would avoid using Chem Out again. That's a sulphate product and those aren't too good for SWG.

The sun is your best ally. And your chlorine isn't so scary high that I'm concerned. Your water is clear, right??

Which test kit are you using?

Maddie :flower:

What test kit do you use at home?

With your CYA of 30 (we round up) CL levels up to shock level at FC/CYA Levels are safe to swim in. That is 12 for CYA 30.

Please put details about your equipment and test kit in your signature. We need to know what type of SWG you have. You will not get your CL down if your SWG continues to generate chlorine.
Thank you! I updated a signature so I hope this helps.

I would avoid using Chem Out again. That's a sulphate product and those aren't too good for SWG.

The sun is your best ally. And your chlorine isn't so scary high that I'm concerned. Your water is clear, right??

Which test kit are you using?

Maddie :flower:

Yes, water is crystal clear. I will avoid Chem-Out from now on. I'm kind of annoyed they recommended it if it's not good for our system. I'm using the original test kit they gave us (Swimline deluxe for pH and chlorine) and just bought another bottle of strips (AquaChek). Also have salt strips. If there is a better kit to purchase, I'd be all over it. :)

Get all over the TF-100 Test Kits and the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer. Your other alternative is the Taylor K-2006C but the TF-100 is a better value. See Test Kits Compared

When you get the TF-100 throw your test strips in the trash. They are inaccurate and worthless.

Salt strips are a bit better but while you are ordering get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

Then you will be equipped to do accurate testing yourself and never need to set foot in the pool store again.

Does your Sense n Dispense control only chlorine or also pH? Do you use CO2 for pH fromt he Sense n Dispense ?

The sun should burn it off pretty fast. It's been raining here constantly the last month so not much sun. My pool was 63 degrees this morning and I just started to try to heat it up a little for the weekend. The second I opened the auto cover the maple tree's started to dump the helicopter seeds urrggggh.

Reactions: blazer58
The sun should burn it off pretty fast. It's been raining here constantly the last month so not much sun. My pool was 63 degrees this morning and I just started to try to heat it up a little for the weekend. The second I opened the auto cover the maple tree's started to dump the helicopter seeds urrggggh.
I hope so! I’ve had it open but it’s been mostly to all cloudy until today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get all over the TF-100 Test Kits and the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer. Your other alternative is the Taylor K-2006C but the TF-100 is a better value. See Test Kits Compared

When you get the TF-100 throw your test strips in the trash. They are inaccurate and worthless.

Salt strips are a bit better but while you are ordering get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

Then you will be equipped to do accurate testing yourself and never need to set foot in the pool store again.

Does your Sense n Dispense control only chlorine or also pH? Do you use CO2 for pH fromt he Sense n Dispense ?

I think it only does chlorine. Our pH is always on the higher side. We add muriatic acid like crazy. I was told this was expected with our hard water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.