Please help. Green pool. Filter not working? High nitrates.

Did you do the dilute test? See step 8 of the CYA test directions in Pool School.

I believe you have algae? If so -- you are in a dilemma. You must address the algae and CYA before winter (were is Adamstown?) if you normally close the pool for winter.

Others have been guiding you so will let them chime in --

Take care.

Thank you for showing me step 8. I did not see that earlier and only followed the instructions that came with the kit. I will do step 8 tomorrow.

Adamstown is in MD, about 50 miles north of DC. We winterized the pool last year.

The pool is completely green. I have been adding 1 gallon of bleach nightly, but it hasn't done anything to change the pool color. If we were to drain the pool and plan to redo everything next year, would the algae be a problem?

If you plan to just cover it and let it sit until next year, then it would be no different than the thousands of abandoned homes that were around a few years ago! So no problem. You would still need to winterize the equipment.

Thank you. I actually created a new thread asking for advice on the equipment. If we were to replace the equipment, do we still need to winterize? It cost us $500 to winterize last year.

Would it be better to deal with everything now or in the spring?

You will need to winterize the piping. I would assume that will be reused during the re-liner next spring.

The above ground equipment I would still drain. If you are going to replace it all I would wait until everything is done at once.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.