Please help evaluate a quote on a new gunite pool - Illinois

May 17, 2021
Roselle, IL
We just received a quote on an 18 x 44 gunite pool and want to know how fair the quote is. Unfortunately, this is not an itemized quote; however, there are details on what is included. We want to follow best practices in pool installation and would like some input from someone who knows their stuff. We already will be asking for an itemized quote and that all details need to be specified in writing. What about the schedule of payments? nearly 70% of the payment is due upon gunite application, and 95% due before final inspection. Is this appropriate?

We already plan to ask about:
  • pentair channel drain
  • autofill (poolmiser)
  • overflow
  • water feature on a switch (shear descent - we have two 3-foot shear descents in this quote)
  • automation
  • salt water system
What else should we expect is in this quote, or should we ask to be included? What aren't we thinking about?

Should a 2D or 3D design be included?

Also, this builder is stating that he will be ready to start in August, and will take 5 weeks from start to finish. Based on what I have read on the forum, this seems extremely fast turnaround. Thoughts? Is this Bull?

Any help offered is much appreciated.

Attachments

• pool proposal.jpg
    pool proposal.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Big,

It is really impossible to compare pool pricing from different locations.

The only thing you can do is to get four or five quotes locally and then compare them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. We aren’t really asking if it’s a reasonable quote. We are more interested in what we should ask be included specifically in the quote - what we should have in writing. We want to cover all bases and make sure we aren’t getting screwed. Any advice you can offer in that regard would be appreciated!

AJW - we will definitely be running those percentages with the builder. Thanks!

poolgate - thanks, we will be sure to check that those items are listed.

This is the first reply we received:

The pump is a Hayward variable speed (1.5 HP) - no specific model stated;
The filter is a 30-in high rate Hayward sand filter;
Hayward 300,000 BTU heater;
Hayward OMNI logic control system - again, no model specified;
3 SR Smith LED lights;
2 Skimmers
2 custom-mold products CMP sheer descent;
1 bubbler in tanning ledge;
4 floor and 4 wall returns;
3-inch plumbing for main drains;
Hayward model automatic pool cleaner (again, no model specified).
Coverstar automatic pool cover

Would anyone be able to recommend specific Hayward models for each? I.e. pump, DE filter

Thanks!

Unfortunately we have contacted half a dozen pool companies in our area and they’re so busy they don’t event want to come out to our house knowing our budget. We did get a quote for a fiberglass pool 40x15 for 115k - installation in July 2022!

In our climate - which is better when it comes to ease of maintenance/filtration - sand filter or DE filter?

ajw22
Thanks for the info - I send your recommendations to the PB and I’m awaiting his response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bigger is better with gas heat. Would recommend a 400K (largest residential size) instead of 300K BTU. Will get you to temp faster and initial cost difference should not be much.

Depends on what is included. How much deck, what type of deck, tile options (glass or 6x6), and is propane included?

I can tell you we are building a pool with 1550 sqft of travertine, a screen and its 10 feet smaller for about 20K less.

One thing you need to consider is getting the 400K heater at min.

The only way to justify if the price is fair is to get at least 3 quotes and see if they are in the same ball park or not.

There has been a good amount of feedback on the proposal, but I would ask them about the construction time frame. Specifically, do they have the equipment IN STOCK?

There have been shortages of pumps, heaters, valves, etc. reported extensively. Personally, I was looking into getting a new Raypak 400K heater and was told that they are currently on back order and they have no estimated date for when they would get them in. In short, I would seek assurance that they have the items you need to START AND USE your pool IN STOCK and I would get that IN WRITING.

Also being from the Chicagoland area, I know the gunnite is the minority of pools build around here so you may find a lot less builders than say a FG or vinyl. With issues with freeze thaw, dramatic temperature swings, it does take a skilled builder in this area to get a long lasting gunnite pool. Guessing that is why your builder mentioned is an hour and a half away?

We never got a 3D or studio design. Our builder just doesn't do that, a simple 2D image was fine for us and we went with them.

I would also confirm equipment and timing. Every pool builder within 50 miles of us was booked for 2021 before Labor Day last year and are now taking deposits for spring sometimes summer 2022 now. In our area, there is a much more compressed building schedule than say Texas, Florida, or Arizona, so there are just far few slots to go around with the big boom in pool building. I hope I am wrong, but would be a little concerned how a good pool builder in the Chicagoland area has any openings for this year.

We haven’t finalized anything yet, but this builder was the only one we spoke with that had an opening before next year...though that does give us pause...

He states he was in commercial pools until the pandemic wiped out several accounts, and now he’s in backyard pools. He says he has all equipment in stock that he will need for the pool...he also says we are warranted on the gunite shell for ten years. We’ve either hit the jackpot, or it’s all BS...

We will definitely ask for the 400K heater, and to verify in writing that all materials are in stock and ready for our build. As it is, we have yet to receive the itemized quote.

Thanks to everyone for all replies. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and has been really helpful!

Holy shnikees does that at least include decking? Is that with pebbltec? My 2 cents is in that area get a liner pool, we absolutely loved ours for 6 years in New England until we moved South to Georgia this year.

If this is your only choice definitely go with SWG and 400K heater.

If they are aren’t starting until August it really doesn’t matter if someone else starts next year you won’t be swimming this year regardless. I might prefer starting at the beginning of next year. Just a thought.

Last edited:
We have been told that the liner pool with the steps, tanning ledge, and bench of this size would cost 10-15k less than gunite. We also have big dogs so we are a little concerned about tearing of the liner. Also, when the liner has to be changed, it would be at a cost of ~$7K (each time, according to PB). All this considered, along with our research showing that gunite is the most durable pool, we are going with gunite.

I'm in a strong market too and you arent far off. An autocover adds a chunk of cost. As a ballpark that would be around 90k with average lengths on gas and electric with nice finishes in this current market but a 2022 build . Vinyl not gunite tho. One thing I notice you said was 10yrs on shell. Shells should be lifetime warrantied, it's a non issue if done right and pretty standard in the gunite world

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.