PLC1400 Abnormal Chlorine level >> 10ppm

mat78

Nov 13, 2022
Dallas
i have a PLC1400 which abnormal level of chlorine.

It is a new pool delivered end of August. Pool size is 14x30x4. After 1 month of brushing, i have added salt and started the chlorine production beginning of octobre, initially at 70% as it was very warm. The chlorine level quickly hit the roof at 14ppm (based on Leslies) I turned the production down to 40%, 20% mid of October, now at 5%. But the total chlorine remains abnormally high above 14ppm even with high temperature > 80, the pool has day-long exposure to the sun. The chlorine level has never gone down, and the water smells like chlorine too. I understand that the Ideal range recommended by Leslies is 1-4 ppm.

I believe that the Salt Water Chlorine Generator is overproducing and I would like to know if there is a troubleshooting procedure to validate my assumption. But I am a beginner with pool, and i could be wrong.

Could someone give me some guidance?

Mat,

There is nothing wrong with your SWCG, it is you... :mrgreen:

You need to understand how a SWCG works. The cell only makes the amount of chlorine that you tell it to make. Cells have no brain, they have no clue how much FC is in the water. You are the cell's brain, and it is up to you to adjust the cell's output and/or the pump run time to adjust the amount of FC in the water.

This time of year, the sun consumes very little FC, and the colder the water the less FC that gets used.

I suggest that you take a good read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

If you really want to take care of your own pool, you need the ability to test your own pool water, and not waste time and money by going to Lelsie's for anything.

We'd be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.

Tell us how much CYA is in your pool water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bperry
I believe that the Salt Water Chlorine Generator is overproducing and I would like to know if there is a troubleshooting procedure to validate my assumption.
The SWCG operates on 2 parameters - the percent output you set and the duration of your pump operating. You can adjust both or set one and make the other parameter variable. If you are over producing, then 1 or both parameters need to be adjusted.

Please update your info do denote your pool volume and your latest test results.

I have a 15gal pool and use this as my guideline for my Jandy 1400 SWCG
This is to produce the desired amount of FC daily to replace loss due to UV or bather load.

Daily FC target to produce 3 ppm
Hrs Setting
12 58%
18 39%
21 33%
23 31%

Daily FC target to produce 5 ppm
Hrs Setting
12 97%
18 65%
21 56%
23 51%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.