Bbp

Jun 3, 2016
md
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just wanted to get some opinions on plaster pricing and options. Will be getting some pricing on NPT finishes next week.

Pool Surface Plaster:Replaster pool:White Plaster:White 851-900 sq/ft $8319
1. Draining the pool
2. All necessary cutting and chipping of the existing plaster to accept the new plaster
3. All necessary cleaning of the existing plaster to accept new plaster
4. Application of Bondkote to the existing plaster surface prior to new plaster
5. Re-plaster the pool surface with white plaster approximately 3/8" to 1/2" thick and hand troweled to a smooth finish
6. Includes (3) return visits to start the filter system after the pool has been filled including brushing the pool surface and adjusting the pH level
PLASTER OPTION:
A. Diamond Brite quartz plaster in standard color finishes $4,017.00 additional if chosen
B. Pebble Tec in standard color choices $7,594.00 additional if chosen -Pebble Tec in Upgrade color choices $8,809.00 additional if chosen -Pebble Tec in Designer color choices $10,024.00 additional if chosen
C. Pebble Sheen in standard color choices $8,809.00 additional if chosen -Pebble Sheen in Upgrade color choices $10,024.00 additional if chosen -Pebble Sheen in Designer color choices $11,239.00 additional if chosen

Thanks for any opinions
bbp

Pricing can be quite different from one place to another and even one side of a big town to the other side. Make sure to get at least 3 quotes and go from there.

Chipping out old plaster....are they talking about chipping out ALL of the plaster or only the plaster around the lights and returns? There is quite a difference in the amount of work between the two. The full chip out is the best for the long run if you plan on this being your forever home.

Pricing can be quite different from one place to another and even one side of a big town to the other side. Make sure to get at least 3 quotes and go from there.

Chipping out old plaster....are they talking about chipping out ALL of the plaster or only the plaster around the lights and returns? There is quite a difference in the amount of work between the two. The full chip out is the best for the long run if you plan on this being your forever home.

Thank you all for your input.

kimkats here what's in the quote regarding the plaster
A. This estimate includes the removal of up to 25 square feet of defective hollow pool surface. Additional work needed to remove more than 25 square feet of pops will be charged additionally at a rate of $2.25 per square foot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again,

I asked PB1 for an estimate for pebble sheen upgrade. He sent that but changed the pool dimensions to 20x35 (15x35 in crumpled estimate).

Quartz with blue - 7991.82 (I‘ll save up 82 cents this week!)

Pebble sheen upgrade - $12,407.00. (No cents!)

I decided to go with PB3 for $19,6 who will just replace damaged section of decking, complete chip out and replaster with quartz. Started today!

Reactions: Bbp
I had another company out today. They said they chip out around the fixtures, but plaster the entire pool. Can one of you explain "full chip out"? Thanks

Full chip out is 100% of the plaster. The partial chip out is ONLY around the returns, main drains, skimmers, lights, etc.

If you only do a partial chip out it is cheaper this time BUT when if comes time to do the next plaster job they will have to do a full chip out and it will cost more as it will be two layers. Pay now or pay later.........................

Reactions: damon5683
You actually want a full chip out honestly. I've seen many a pool with a partial that has failing base plaster down the road with new on top and it shortens the life of the new plaster job. Better to chip and pay mow as you will get a better finished product and a longer lifespan

Reactions: kimkats
Hi Stic2it,
Yes the 19.6 is for a rescue. I’m chronicling the work in this thread. After a few rain delays the pool was drained dry yesterday and real work is starting today. I’ll post pics later. It’s dusty and noisy! It better be for that much. The 19.6 includes 2,600 for a salt system. Originally it was an additional 2.6 but after negotiating with other quotes he threw it in.

I am not the original owner of the house. The pool was installed in 1986. The second owner in 1999=2004 did some work on the pool but based on his other work he probably just threw lipstick on the pig. The plaster was wearing for several years before I decided to deal with it.

Regarding hiring the trades myself - I’ve lived through many contractor fiascos to know I can’t deal with doing it that way. The money saved is not worth the absolute terror of dealing with another “Parolee” painters group. Highly recommended and great painters until one night at 8PM I was hit up for bail money with threat my job wouldn’t get finished. Well I pre-paid and the job didn’t get finished. Thus the nickname. One day I will write a book of contractor excuses!

Hi Stic2it,
Yes the 19.6 is for a rescue. I’m chronicling the work in this thread. After a few rain delays the pool was drained dry yesterday and real work is starting today. I’ll post pics later. It’s dusty and noisy! It better be for that much. The 19.6 includes 2,600 for a salt system. Originally it was an additional 2.6 but after negotiating with other quotes he threw it in.

I am not the original owner of the house. The pool was installed in 1986. The second owner in 1999=2004 did some work on the pool but based on his other work he probably just threw lipstick on the pig. The plaster was wearing for several years before I decided to deal with it.

Regarding hiring the trades myself - I’ve lived through many contractor fiascos to know I can’t deal with doing it that way. The money saved is not worth the absolute terror of dealing with another “Parolee” painters group. Highly recommended and great painters until one night at 8PM I was hit up for bail money with threat my job wouldn’t get finished. Well I pre-paid and the job didn’t get finished. Thus the nickname. One day I will write a book of contractor excuses!

Yes, I totally understand. I am there as well, going through a PB, same issues but I'm working through a middle man with multiple levels. If I knew that I would be communicating, overseeing my job as much as I have been, I would have cut them out for sure and saved money. The advice from this forum is great and I don't think I would have made it thus far if not for help. $2600 seems steep to add a SG, but you also have a large pool and i'm sure they marked it up to make some profit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.