Plaster failure

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
Well it’s now been a year since bringing this to the attention of the pool builder who plastered the pool. He finally came by in January and drained the pool. They took a grinder to the nodules and did a quick patch on 3 good size spots where the plaster had fallen off the wall. He didn’t understand what was happening and told me he hasn’t seen this in his 40+ years of pool building. He then decided to attend a seminar on plaster and chemical management on February 6 2019. Now he tells me he thinks it’s a chemical imbalance that caused 3 1/2 year old plaster to just fall off the wall as shown in this photo.
1550972457078.jpeg
He says he wants to send me some pamphlets and literature proving that it is my problem not his. He has invited me to check with my experts as well to come to a conclusion in this matter.
The contract does warranty plaster work “bond only” for 5 years.
Any thoughts on this one? Onbalance are you out there? I really need to get this issue resolved. My salt cell has also gone out due to the TDS in the water once the plaster fell off and the base was exposed.
I maintain my chemistry diligently and have used this site exclusively for advice since the planning stages of the pool 6 years ago.
Thanks to anyone who can offer any help. I have more photos as well.

Attachments

• 1550972116531.jpeg
    1550972116531.jpeg
    2.3 KB · Views: 265
From @onBalance website - Calcium Nodules – Pool Help

Whose “Fault” Is It?

One of the biggest stumbling blocks in the industry today is the fingerpointing that is done in trying to assign blame. The fact of the matter is that, like many other phenomena that are common in cement applications, nodules are not always preventable. Good technique on the part of the plasterer, along with sound bonding principles will eliminate the vast majority of nodules, yet the appearance of a few is not unexpected (especially on replaster jobs) and are easily dealt with.

Chemical imbalance does not cause a plaster coat to fall off the walls of pools, nor does it cause random calcium nodules to form.
Tell the PB to get his plastering contractor to own up.

If he objects to that, ask him to produce anything in writing that claims that bond failure (pop offs) are caused by water imbalance. You could also tell him that plasterers will often add 10 gallons of acid to pools for one week to remove stains and that doesn't cause bonding failure and nodules to form. Keep me informed with this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Chemical imbalance does not cause a plaster coat to fall off the walls of pools, nor does it cause random calcium nodules to form.
Tell the PB to get his plastering contractor to own up.

If he objects to that, ask him to produce anything in writing that claims that bond failure (pop offs) are caused by water imbalance. You could also tell him that plasterers will often add 10 gallons of acid to pools for one week to remove stains and that doesn't cause bonding failure and nodules to form. Keep me informed with this situation.
He says he is mailing some information to me to prove his case. I’ll keep you posted.

I suspect (if he even really went to this so-called "course") that this was just something to have in his back pocket to blame you (water chemistry) should this ever get to court. As others have stated, bad water chemistry doesn't cause plaster to crack or delaminate. It's faulty workmanship when it was plastered, plain and simple. I never usually advocate this but it's tme for an attorney.

@dumbcluck you are in California? @Dirk has posted how to handle pool builder problems with the Department of Consumer Affairs in California. You don’t need a lawyer. You do need to follow the process and cause enough problems to possibly put the PB and maybe plaster subcontractor out of business with their license revoked.

Here is one of @Dirk posts Pool Contractor Issues- - Any Advice Appreciated

Last edited:
The PB won't be able to produce any credible report based on science or study proving that aggressive water causes plaster to crack and/or fall off a plaster wall or floor. I don't think the PB or plastering contractor will try to sell that idea to the Contractor License Board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.