Planning to get a pool!

TiggerBW

Dec 19, 2020
Berlin, NJ
Hi! I am new here. My husband and I are planning on getting an inground pool for our family of 4. This is new to us! We are trying to pick the right company to go with in South Jersey. We have questions about heaters vs. heat pumps, shape - free form vs. double Roman, tanning ledge (worth it?), size - (if 18x38 is good), tile vs. stone for around the pool, etc. Looking for recommendations! Any other must have features? Anyone have South Jersey pool company recommendations? Thanks!

Those questions are very subjective. I like freeform pools and that goes along with my preferences in the rest of my life. To me, rectangular pools are too modern. A Roman would be too formal but I like them better than rectangular. As for the sun shelf or Baja step, I wouldn't get a pool without one but others don't like them. It's a great place to hang out or for little kids to play on.

Reactions: TiggerBW
Welcome to TFP.
Size and shape of pool are critical decisions early on. If you plan to have a cover then research that to ensure one fits your selected pool size.
Next is depth - you should have minimum 3.5ft past the steps but how deep to you want? As a minimum most go 5.5ft but you can go deeper if you desire. You just need to determine what slope will the bottom be. Also some go 3.5 to 5.5 (or deeper) then back to 3.5ft if you like to a have both ends shallow.
Always best to have 2 skimmers to gather debris from the surface. Also plan to have those plumbed as independent lines back to your equipment pad.
Do you plan any water features? A spa? These additions will drive pump sizing or may require multiple pumps.
Many new pool owners are migrating to using a robot as a cleaner in place of a pressure operated pool cleaner. Thus you need to plan to have a GFCI outlet nearby per code for your area.
You need to make a decision as to how you will chlorinate the pool. The recommendation would be to use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) but there are other options such as liquid chlorine. A lot of PB's push the use of chlorine pucks in an inline chlorinator but that is frowned upon if using the TFP methodology.
One final thought is on automation. How much control do you want from your phone or computer vs. having a panel on your wall inside or outside your home?
So many decisions but once you make them and have a consistent reference it will be easier to evaluate bids from different PB's.
Good Luck.

Reactions: TiggerBW
Welcome to TFP.
Size and shape of pool are critical decisions early on. If you plan to have a cover then research that to ensure one fits your selected pool size.
Next is depth - you should have minimum 3.5ft past the steps but how deep to you want? As a minimum most go 5.5ft but you can go deeper if you desire. You just need to determine what slope will the bottom be. Also some go 3.5 to 5.5 (or deeper) then back to 3.5ft if you like to a have both ends shallow.
Always best to have 2 skimmers to gather debris from the surface. Also plan to have those plumbed as independent lines back to your equipment pad.
Do you plan any water features? A spa? These additions will drive pump sizing or may require multiple pumps.
Many new pool owners are migrating to using a robot as a cleaner in place of a pressure operated pool cleaner. Thus you need to plan to have a GFCI outlet nearby per code for your area.
You need to make a decision as to how you will chlorinate the pool. The recommendation would be to use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) but there are other options such as liquid chlorine. A lot of PB's push the use of chlorine pucks in an inline chlorinator but that is frowned upon if using the TFP methodology.
One final thought is on automation. How much control do you want from your phone or computer vs. having a panel on your wall inside or outside your home?
So many decisions but once you make them and have a consistent reference it will be easier to evaluate bids from different PB's.
Good Luck.
THANKS! So much to think about! :)

If you have the space, 18 x 38 is a nice large pool. 20 x 40 is also good if you plan to have all the kids sports teams over. I am a big fan of deeps ends. We also have a diving board. Highly discourage stone at the water line versus tile. Stone absorbs water and is likely to develop a white line at/above the water line. In the northeast, bluestone is a beautiful and plentiful coping. Hot yes, but a little water on it solves that. I’m not a fan of Roman ends, just too formal for me. I think it’s personal style and general house/backyard style. Rectangular maximizes pool surface area. Don’t go too small on the deck size. In other words, get more than you think you need. You can’t go too big.

If you have the space, 18 x 38 is a nice large pool. 20 x 40 is also good if you plan to have all the kids sports teams over. I am a big fan of deeps ends. We also have a diving board. Highly discourage stone at the water line versus tile. Stone absorbs water and is likely to develop a white line at/above the water line. In the northeast, bluestone is a beautiful and plentiful coping. Hot yes, but a little water on it solves that. I’m not a fan of Roman ends, just too formal for me. I think it’s personal style and general house/backyard style. Rectangular maximizes pool surface area. Don’t go too small on the deck size. In other words, get more than you think you need. You can’t go too big.
Thank you so much for your advice!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.