Katy Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Long time stalker, first time poster! We're in the process of finalizing plans for a backyard makeover and curious for feedback on the design as it stands right now. We have 3 boys, age 13, 11 and 3, so we're trying to design with all those ages in mind.

Key details of the design as it currently stands:
  • 34'x16'8" pool with sundeck, raised back wall with 2 or 3 scuppers, depth of 3.5 to 6 feet.
  • Raised 7'6"x9'5" spa
  • 91' perimeter and 13,581 gallons (Spa and Pool)
  • Depth profile on this image has a pretty steep drop, but we'll probably smooth that out a bit before finalizing
  • 750 sq/ft new decking with Cooldeck topping, plus Cooldeck on existing 10x15 patio
  • 15x17 ft patio cover extending off of existing covered patio (left half of the schematic)
  • Additional 15x16 ft patio cover (right half of the schematic).
Two main thoughts bouncing around in my head on the design. First is taking the back wall of the pool and pushing it out so the pool is a true kidney bean shape. This would give us a couple extra feet of width in the middle of the pool. Second is whether to include the roof on the right half of the extended patio or not. Originally we had this left uncovered with future plans for a pergola and outdoor kitchen. We've since added hard roof into the design, but this pushed the total cost of the project a over where I wanted to land...but it would nice to just do it all upfront and not have to deal with additional construction down the road.

So, all that said, are there any tweaks or changes ya'll would make to this plan...or general feedback? Thanks!!!

PoolDesign.jpg

The pergola depends on how the sun crosses the back yard. I don't see a compass on the drawing, so I'd hope that you'd get relief from the Houston sun in the afternoon/evening. Might want to drop in a couple taller palm trees to help with that as well. Looks nice, good luck!

Exlonghorn...good callout on the compass. We face 218 degrees SW, so blazing sun in the afternoon/evening, which is the motivation for such a large covered addition.

That is going to be a great addition to your yard and family!

I WOULD push that back wall out. Those boys are going to need all of the room then can get as I am sure you know well!

The next thing I would do is start with 4' deep to ease the slope. The 3 yr old will grow fast!

Next look up "watermelon Ball"! The funest pool gave out there!!!

Kim:kim:

Kim, Appreciate the feedback! I keep going back and forth on the depth...I'm 6' 2" and my wife is 5' 0", so I'm trying to make sure she's comfortable as well. I may stretch the pool a few additional feet to offset the slope some more.

So we will work off her height. Hold a tape measure up to her and see where 4' hits her. Look at 3'5" and in between to see what she thinks would be comfortable for her. We want her to be safe and have fun.

Also make sure you talk to your PB to make sure his depth is WATER depth. It should be from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer face. Some people measure from the bottom to the bottom of the coping. You lose several inches of water if it is measured like that.

Kim:kim:

Our pool opened Sept 30 2018 in Katy. Our pool builder recommended 5 ft deep end. My wife wanted 6 feet (she's 5'4"). I'm 5 10 but wanted 5 feet so in the worst case I could rescue a toddler while standing not swimming. We got six feet and my wife regrets it. So do I. PB also suggested the sun shelf. We got it and have never used it. I saw a pool in the neighborhood that had, instead of a sun shelf, steps all the way across. Way more useful. Way more. Just one person's opinion. Oh yes, the pressure side cleaner with a booster pump was A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. Get a robotic cleaner made by Maytronics. Get it on your own and not part of the pool contract. It is not part of the pool, so it doesn't require any plumbing, pump, or other provisions and will work 20 times better for less electricity than a booster pump, not to mention being silent.

Reactions: Locotl
Oh and insist on a variable speed remote programmable main filter pump. It will pay for itself many times over in electricity saved, not to mention noise reduction. A variable speed pump running at 1/2 speed uses 1/8 as much electricity. You can do the time vs speed vs kwh for yourself. We run our 3450 max rpm pump at 1600 rpm from midnight to 11am (go griddy is our electric reseller, so we run the pump at super low rate time). I reprogram or manually run the pump from my iPhone or from my desktop computer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.