Planning for a new pool - Construction Specs Advice - Houston, TX Area

CKLEB

Sep 22, 2021
Houston, TX
This will be our first post as new members of the forum. We have been 'planning' for while now and in stage of narrowing down our builders options. As you all probably know, trying to normalize bids and getting apples to apples comparisons of the details have been challenging. For the most part, I think we have the 'equipment' aspect comparable across the remaining builders on our list. We are now trying to make sure the construction/build specs are all in line. As of now the pool design is a basic rectangle(15x25') with a built in spa(7'x7') (not elevated). While I know the specs may differ based on pool sizes/shapes, I was wondering if anyone in the same area could expand on the specs such as:

Rebar size & grid spacing in respective areas......Deck, Beam, Shell (Wall/Bottom/Cove);
Gunite Specs - Sack ratio/Pressure/Thickness minimums - Beam / Floor / Wall / Cove, etc.

I did not expect to see much fluctuation but the more detail I get the more variance I see, especially in the gunite thickness minimums.

Thanks in advance, I trust this will not be the last time we look to the this group for advice in our pending decision.

CKL

Where are you in the area? We might be able to help guide you on some of the ways to not get taken by the pool builders. I wish I had known about this site in 2007 when I built my pool!

Thanks for the information.
Once you get to a point where you wish more input, you can post the specs or equipment list of your final selection. Lots of experience on this forum as to what does and does not work well. Also, once you are in the construction process, you can post questions as issues arise or you just want confirmation of how the process is proceeding.
As always, posting pictures of the overall design or specifics concerns is welcomed.
Good Luck in your new venture.

Once you get to a point where you wish more input, you can post the specs or equipment list of your final selection. Lots of experience on this forum as to what does and does not work well. Also, once you are in the construction process, you can post questions as issues arise or you just want confirmation of how the process is proceeding.
As always, posting pictures of the overall design or specifics concerns is welcomed.
Good Luck in your new venture.
Thanks Herman, I guess right now the specific detail I am seeking is the Gunite thickness. All have a common 12" thickness on Beams. The Bottom / Walls / Coves all differ. Some spec'ing a minimum thickness of 3" some 6" some 8". As there is no code governing this and no requirement for an engineering stamp on the construction specs, I am trying to get a feel for what others have experienced. The Gunite specs themselves are pretty close ranging from 3500-4200 psi 6 sack mix.

I am down to three builders....one is offering Jandy and the others Pentair systems. I feel the equipment is spec'd pretty clearly by all three so less concern here at the moment but maybe after I get the above off of my mind. :)

I would want a minimum gunite thickness of 6". 3" seems too thin. 8" does not add a lot of strength over 6".

A lot will depend on your build location. Soil types and elevation changes will drive the construction details. As stated, get an engineered drawing. Most pool builder can assist, and are glad to do it, as it moves some of the liability off of them. I recently built on a 15 ft x 26 ft with an 8 ft x 8 ft spa in the Conroe area. Signed contract in Oct 2020 and started construction in April 2021. We were swimming by July 4th, but there are still a few punch items to finalize before I issue final payment. My advice is to work the payment schedule hard. I only held back 5% after plaster. I wish I would have done more like 10 - 15%. I did my homework on builders in the area - liked my guy, but I'd shop around if I were doing it again.

Reactions: CKLEB and HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.