Pipe sizes and spa jets

Jun 1, 2015
LI, New York
So I have a “spa” attached to my pool and I put it in quotes because when they built it they did not isolate it from the rest of the pool. Currently it has It’s own 2hp pump using 2” plumbing. My pool uses a 1.5hp VS pump and 1.5” plumbing. I have several valves that need to be turned in order to divert water from the spa suction to the heater and back to the spa returns.

My question- I am looking into automation systems and would like to simplify the plumbing and keep the cost down. My pool guy suggested using a single 2 hp VS pump, have them share the suction lines and have 1 valve to control which returns go through the heater.

My question is this- won’t the 1.5” suction lines limit the flow so that I won’t have the same “jet” effect in the spa? Or does only the return pipe size matter?

thanks!

Does your spa have its own filter?

Is the plumbing to the shared heater 2" or 1.5"?

Some pics of your equipment and pipes can let us better understand what you have.

J,

I think it makes more sense to install a single 3 HP VS pump, so you ramp it up for your "Spa" and ramp it down for your "Pool"..

Keep in mind that not all VS pumps can be controlled by automation.. I would select which automation system you plan on using and then select a pump which can be controlled by that automation system. You almost always have to use the same brand for the automation system and the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Allen, let's see some pics...

There is 2 inch piping to the heater. I should add that the 2hp pump with 2 inch pipes is currently sufficient to power the spa jets. I never use the 2 pumps together.

J,

I think it makes more sense to install a single 3 HP VS pump, so you ramp it up for your "Spa" and ramp it down for your "Pool"..

Keep in mind that not all VS pumps can be controlled by automation.. I would select which automation system you plan on using and then select a pump which can be controlled by that automation system. You almost always have to use the same brand for the automation system and the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Allen, let's see some pics...

- - - Updated - - -

CCDEB71B-C86F-4B89-A6AA-78253CED74F2.jpgBB0E5574-1F91-454E-9F42-BEB7A7DD920D.jpg18D3ACEF-A670-4130-98CB-8CAB06906EDC.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.