Pipe Size for Small Inground Pool ?

AndyDW

Aug 13, 2021
Liverpool, NS
Hello I am installing a small 12 by 22 by 55 inch deep inground pool (9000 gallons). I am planning 1 skimmer and 2 returns, bringing all lines up to equipment pad. the farthest return is 45 feet, the other is about 35 feet. the suction line run is 50 feet. the equipment pad is about 2 feet lower than water level of pool. purchased a hayward max flow vs variable speed pump (rated up to 1.5 hp). all this said, will I be OK with 1.5 inch pipe throughout, or is there a significant benefit to going with 2 inch pipe on skimmer line and all 2 inch fittings at pad (reducing to 1.5 inch only where necessary). im planning to purchase a zodiac mx6 suction cleaner and a swg.

I would appreciate thoughts from the experts on this forum.

Last edited:
the pool will be vinyl, icf construction. I read somewhere on the forum that you should maybe go bigger on the suction line vs the return pressure lines. I'm planning only a single suction line on skimmer, meaning when cleaning you'd lose the skimmer which concerns me a bit. was even thinking of a second suction line or a side port that I could turn on when cleaning (via a ball valve or jandy valve) and off when not in use for cleaning. obviously a robot avoids this issue. do you have a model of the maytronics you'd recommend?

the pool will be vinyl, icf construction. I read somewhere on the forum that you should maybe go bigger on the suction line vs the return pressure lines.

That is why I said 2” suction and 1.5” returns above.

I'm planning only a single suction line on skimmer, meaning when cleaning you'd lose the skimmer which concerns me a bit. was even thinking of a second suction line or a side port that I could turn on when cleaning (via a ball valve or jandy valve) and off when not in use for cleaning.

I always recommend two skimmers. If you have one skimmer and it has a problem your pool is shutdown. If you have two skimmers then you can use your pool while you get it fixed. An additional skimmer and some pipe is inexpensive.

obviously a robot avoids this issue. do you have a model of the maytronics you'd recommend?

Call Margaret Mills at Marina Pool, Spa, and Patio in Lakewood CO and see what she has and recommends.

Last edited:
great. so a 2" suction line to the pad with the pump about 12 inches below the water level, and then 2 x 1.5 " returns back out to the pool which I could throttle individually if need be. I'll get 2 way jandy valves for all 3 lines. to be energy efficient, I'd like to run my vs pump on as low a setting as possible and at 1000rpm it says it will do a flow of about 25gmp at a tdh of 5 feet. I looked at some charts and found that 1.5 inch pipe has a friction loss of 4.6 feet on 100 feet of pipe, and I'm only running 80 feel. so I think I will be good. my only concern is whether I would have the flow I need at the skimmer at this setting. I think I will, any thoughts? also, would there be any benefit to raising the pump ? thank you very much for your help with this. my mind is exploding trying to understand all of this.

You will be fine. The head losses you are worrying about will not make any visible operational difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
again my pool is under 9000 gallons so 25gpm would be a turnover of 6 hours... which reading through stuff should be plenty.

Turnover is a myth and does not matter.

Many pools run with a turnover of less then 1.

Getting ready to move the chlorinator 3 feet away from heater, also adding a cv and heater bypass diverter valve. Question: should i replace all 1 1/2" piping to 2"? Everything circle red is 1 1/2" rest is 2". According to my PB all way from pool piping is 2" except coming up and going to ground is 1 1/2".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-072542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-072542_Gallery.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.