Pipe Diameter Sizes - Relocating Equipment

ramseyakl

Jun 30, 2020
Simi Valley, CA
Hello, I am extremely new to this thread and was recommended by a coworker about its unbelievable community and support. To make this thread short, ill get to the point; I am relocating my pool equipment to another location of my home. Now the equipment is approximately 7 feet away from the skimmer inlet. I am relocating it approximately 50 feet away at the same grade level (height). Currently, my piping that i have exposed is all 1.5" piping and I would like to bump up to 2" to increase volume. My questions (i am new to the science), will I suffer / compensate for pressure when I am vacuuming by relocating that far away as well as increasing piping size? Should I relocate it 50' away and keep the same size piping? I am going to transition from copper to PVC underground. My pump is a Hayward sp2302VSP with an older 36" filter, eight filter grids.

I dind't include in signature however i have no heater and no spa with my set up, so the relocating in very simple.

Is it necessary to install inline ball valves for the suction and return?

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you very much.

2" lines on the suction side will reduce resistance, increase flow and, overall, be quite helpful. I would do that.

1 and a half inch pipe on the pressure side is just fine. 2" pipe will reduce pressure but provide no appreciable other benefit. That said, it won't add much money to go to 2" on the pressure side but I would suggest 1.5"

I am not sure just where you are thinking of putting the ball valves. Give us a little better location.

Thank you for your kind reply. When you say pressure side, I assume that is the return back into the pool?

In regards to ball valves, I was told it is best to add one in-line right before the pump, in case I need to service the pump for any reason / remove it for repair. Also, I was told it is best to add two ball valves on the return, one immediately out of the filter in case I want to flush the skimmer out without removing the grids, and only hosing off the inside. Also, the second before the return, again, in case I need to remove the filter housing for service / repair.

Any other ball valves you'd recommend?

Is it suggested to use long sweep 90 degree elbows while plumbing the system?

Ultimately, because my pool and system is so old, I do not for any reason want to compensate for suction by increasing to a 2" supply and return line.

Thanks again!

, I do not for any reason want to compensate for suction by increasing to a 2" supply and return line.
I thought you asked if you should? I have no idea what you mean?

Sweep 90's are not schedule 40. you are welcome to use them but they are not helpful and not as strong as schedule 40.

When you say "ball valves", are you talking about unions?

Im sorry for the confusion. I see that I had typed ball valves, but yes i believe I am referring to unions. I believe I should install unions just in case I needed to disassemble the pump or the filter for maintenance.

Do you recommend any ball valves needing to be installed in any of the plumbing? In case I need to close a supply or drain for any specific reason?

Thank you for your help?

Since this is a big re-do it'll add some cost but you should install unions so ALL your equipment can simply be unscrewed from the system and then screwed back in when replace/repaired.

Still not sure about your meaning but in that size pool I would suggest 2" lines on the suction side (that from the skimmers to the pump) and 1.5" pipes on the pressure side (that's after the pump all the way back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.