Pipe Layout

May 14, 2022
Kenmore, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I am looking to see where piping might be going, what I can expect from a 1982 installed system, how they would likely lay out the pipe. I believe there is a blockage or sand and dirt (we cleared up A LOT of muck from this pool). The main pool drain does not take water out of the pool. The skimmer does take water out of the pool.

We have been doing a lot of work, realizing there is a blockage somewhere. I am digging in the yard to try to find piping, bust in, clean, correct and hope.

We have tracked pipe from bottom drain up to skimmer, this is one of the pictures (closer up).

The overview picture shows arrows pointing out:
- Bottom drain
- skimmer, and where we tracked bottom drain line, so we can see that the pipe runs up, wall, to skimmer location
- Control, there is a control for the spa to the right of the pool, I might be digging here soon
- Pool house, the pipe coming into the pool house is to the back left, coming through the floor

I can get a sensor through the bottom drain and up to the skimmer location, maybe it is just a piping issue? Looking for suggestions! TIA
Peter

Attachments

• left pool 1.jpg
    left pool 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 19
  • overview 1.jpg
    overview 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 19
While the pool is drained it would be good to install a VGB-compliant main-drain cover.

If the line to the skimmer is clear as you mention, you probably only need the "float valve" that is in most skimmers. It allows water to be pulled from the bottom when the pump is running. From what can be seen in your picture it is this, for a Pentair skimmer (U3 skimmer)(08650-0079):

L1063__31152.1594846808.jpg

They are not universal fit, so the manufacturer of your skimmer need to match the valve.

Reactions: proavia
Thanks, so that main drain line is hooked into the skimmer line with a functioning float valve?

Here are a couple shots of the skimmer and the pump house layout.

The three partial pipes appear original to the sap, someone noted on those pipes
1 Spa Ret Leaks, assume this was an issue they "corrected"
2 Pool Vac
3 Spa Return

Pool items
4 "Spa M.D.", this does pull in water from the Spa
5 "Pool Skimmer Suction", this does pull from the skimmer

My initial plan
I am going to hook things back up after breakfast, prime the pump and see if any water is drawn from the main pool drain, but I am doubting that given your comment on the float valve.

It sounds like time to grab a new float valve, does the old one unscrew? Time for youtube!

Skimmer cover has this text: Swimquip WC27-92

Attachments

• in pool house 1.jpg
    in pool house 1.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 7
  • skimmer close up.jpg
    skimmer close up.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 7
  • skimmer overview.jpg
    skimmer overview.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks, so that main drain line is hooked into the skimmer line with a functioning float valve?

Here are a couple shots of the skimmer and the pump house layout.

The three partial pipes appear original to the sap, someone noted on those pipes
1 Spa Ret Leaks, assume this was an issue they "corrected"
2 Pool Vac
3 Spa Return

Pool items
4 "Spa M.D.", this does pull in water from the Spa
5 "Pool Skimmer Suction", this does pull from the skimmer

My initial plan
I am going to hook things back up after breakfast, prime the pump and see if any water is drawn from the main pool drain, but I am doubting that given your comment on the float valve.

It sounds like time to grab a new float valve, does the old one unscrew? Time for youtube!

Skimmer cover has this text: Swimquip WC27-92
Sorry, no, a float valve will not work in that skimmer. Couldn't tell which skimmer you had from the picture. It is an older American Pool Products (now Pentair) Admiral. It take this diverter, Pentair #85002600. The picture has it upside-down. The small tab sticking out goes under that crescent-shaped area in the bottom of the skimmer.
shopping

Nice, that actually makes sense, no diverter so no water flow from main drain in pool.

I will note we had to empty this as we could not get all the fine debris out. We filled up about 9 large yard waste bins with waste. 80-100 salamanders, I am encouraged!

Appreciate!

Nice, that actually makes sense, no diverter so no water flow from main drain in pool.

I will note we had to empty this as we could not get all the fine debris out. We filled up about 9 large yard waste bins with waste. 80-100 salamanders, I am encouraged!

Appreciate!
A functioning main-drain is not an absolute necessity, especially if you have any type of automatic pool cleaner to circulate water from the bottom.

No main drain, that makes sense. Since you are being so awesome...

I have an older sand filter, we believe the material needs to be replaced (the pool stood idle and turned into pond around 2013, we have been cleaning the past few months), we understand the plastic innards would most likely be damaged and need to be replaced. Advice on going for the replacement or material versus a new filter?

The natural gas heater was ruined with multiple leaks, currently bypassed, FYI.

No main drain, that makes sense. Since you are being so awesome...

I have an older sand filter, we believe the material needs to be replaced (the pool stood idle and turned into pond around 2013, we have been cleaning the past few months), we understand the plastic innards would most likely be damaged and need to be replaced. Advice on going for the replacement or material versus a new filter?

The natural gas heater was ruined with multiple leaks, currently bypassed, FYI.
Plastic just sitting will not be damaged by much of anything. You may want to replace the sand if you decide to keep the filter. What brand? how large?

DO NOT use a power washer on that surface. You will damage the plaster by removing the "cream" that makes the pool surface somewhat smooth. It would be good to get it filled as soon as possible. There are products that can be added to the water that will slowly remove a lot of the stain on it. The longer the plaster is dry the more damage can occur, especially in the Summer.

This product works well:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plastic just sitting will not be damaged by much of anything. You may want to replace the sand if you decide to keep the filter. What brand? how large?

DO NOT use a power washer on that surface. You will damage the plaster by removing the "cream" that makes the pool surface somewhat smooth. It would be good to get it filled as soon as possible. There are products that can be added to the water that will slowly remove a lot of the stain on it. The longer the plaster is dry the more damage can occur, especially in the Summer.

This product works well:
Sta-RiteHRBP24 Sand Filter

Sand filter worked out well, all the plastic parts were in good shape. Replaced the sand, the o-ring, and the bolts holding the shell together. Filled the pool, found the leaking pipe and put a cap in that (this pool was re-piped to the pool house and equipment at some point). Chemicals are now stable.

We are swimming. We still have work to do in the spa area, but we are swimming!

Attachments

• 2023 0811 Pool.jpg
    2023 0811 Pool.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Andrew_D
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.