Stop dropping the pH so far. 7.4 is the urban legend “optimal pH” but that is simply not true. When you lower pH below 7.5/7.6 with water that contains carbonate alkalinity, you drive the formation of a lot of aqueous CO2 which then gets driven out by aeration. That is the source of your pH rise.

Aim for a pH of 7.6 and don’t reduce it until the standby (resting) water pH goes above 7.8. Then only knock it down to 7.6. You can also safely raise your borate levels to 50ppm or more (i use 60ppm in my swimming pool) to help hold down the pH. Keep your TA at 50ppm.

Stop dropping the pH so far. 7.4 is the urban legend “optimal pH” but that is simply not true. When you lower pH below 7.5/7.6 with water that contains carbonate alkalinity, you drive the formation of a lot of aqueous CO2 which then gets driven out by aeration. That is the source of your pH rise.

Aim for a pH of 7.6 and don’t reduce it until the standby (resting) water pH goes above 7.8. Then only knock it down to 7.6. You can also safely raise your borate levels to 50ppm or more (i use 60ppm in my swimming pool) to help hold down the pH. Keep your TA at 50ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.