PH test really Orange

The reason I ask there are two strengths, one for the 7 ml block in the K1000 kit and one for the 44 ml block in the K2006. You cannot substitute them. For your block, you need R0014.
Mine says 0004 . It is the 2oz refill I have been using for couple of years now. Still in date by a couple of months. The block in the pic is new, but direct replacement for the one I had in the 2006 kit. I use the 44ml line for testing, always have.

It was REALLY dark pink. Not sure what it should be , but at least it was not orange lol.

I don't know where your tap water comes from.

I have municipal water that always tests a nice pH 7.5 and I can use as my control.

I would get a fresh pH test kit. Something sounds wonky with your test kit. Or find some known good pH water that you can see you get a normal test color out of.

bottles water looks normal. Less orange more light pink.

That's a good sign.

I would do a chemistry experiment and take a large bucket of pool water, add a little acid at a time, and run pH tests and see how the color changes as you add acid. Take pics or log your tests and see what is going on with your pool water as you add acid. If pH is just high then color will come into normal range.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a good sign.

I would do a chemistry experiment and take a large bucket of pool water, add a little acid at a time, and run pH tests and see how the color changes as you add acid. Take pics or log your tests and see what is going on with your pool water as you add acid. If pH is just high then color will come into normal range.
Ok, did normal test, still orange. Filled bucket and added a ' splash' ( very scientific lol) of acid to it and tested and it came out more yellow ( see pic ?). So does that mean orange represents higher PH than pink and I need to add acid, or does orange mean acidic and adding more acid made it even lower PH ? I guess the question is, do I add acid to pool, or do nothing and see what happens over next few days ? Idk. Thx !

Attachments

• 20210330_130057.jpg
    20210330_130057.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 9
The intensity of the color should not be like that. Try 3, or 4 drops of reagent. It acts like the reagent is for a larger volume of water to be tested.

The intensity of the color should not be like that. Try 3, or 4 drops of reagent. It acts like the reagent is for a larger volume of water to be tested.
I thought it was intense as it was about 30ml of acid going into a small 32oz kid's bucket of pool water. I have new 0004 coming , so will use that just in case. I am cautious about using the PH reagent as never had to use it before so it is 2017

The yellow color says it is at 6.8, or lower. But the intensity should not be at that level.

As I have said above, normally it is from too much reagent or a reagent not designed for the water volume used.

Here is the pic. Very orange , so not sure what it needs . Thx

I just did a quick test: Got a pool water sample and added Phenol Red. Added acid demand test reagent until I had the pH slightly below 7.4, giving a light orange. Then I added more Phenol Red until the colour looked similar to the dark orange from your picture:

1617149645619.png

Based on that I would say that the Phenol Red concentration in your reagent bottle probably increased over time (due to evaporation? - Maybe the bottle got left open for too long at some point? Or that's just what happens when the stuff gets older?). Or the drops got larger for some reason. Time to get new reagents. In the meantime you could try if a test with a larger water sample or with less Phenol Red gives more reasonable results.

Reactions: magiteck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.