PH meter fiasco!

Aug 1, 2016
Newberry, FL
With this last order of new season test kit supplies I decided to get the PH meter because it looked like a “new” cool gadget to simplify testing the PH........Holy Macerel! Was I ever wrong!! I cant even get past the directions-lol “calibration” “regulate the timer” “ buffer solution” “deionized water” EEEGADS! So its just siting here on my table being lonley while I use the old tried and true, EASY way.......Question....is there a quick, easy get started method for using the meter or will it continue to sit there and mock me for being a tech weenie? Thanks you. Liz

I purchased one at the Pool & Spa Expo in New Orleans about 6 years ago. For Expo attendees it was half price. I snapped one up for $120.00. I should have spent the money on pool toys. Worst purchase ever. Constant calibration and inconsistent results every bloody time. I cant remember the brand but they are all the same. Worthless. I thought about getting a Lamotte Spinlab because I always want the latest tech toys. After talking to all the members here I realized the TF was easy, accurate, and repeatable.

I will even reuse the pH standard several times. I use mine in conjunction with the pH drop test or when I have to SLAM.

I can’t believe you, Queen of Test Kits, ever needs to SLAM Process. Your water should know all the reagents at your disposal. :rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So...I also bought the lovely yellow meter from TFP and was a bit deflated to find out I needed to calibrate, however I trucked myself down to Target for some cheap distilled h2o and got the reader all set up. I have been using the rest of the gallon for rinsing the meter after each reading.
My "fiasco" with it has been the difference in the meter reading and the drop test. Earlier today it read 7.7 but the drop test said 7.4. I know there is a margin of error on both tests, but I was surprised to find them so different. My fresh plaster + weather has me checking pH frequently, and adding every other day or so. This difference had me wondering which one I should really be trusting, tho????

Reactions: Irlizard
This difference had me wondering which one I should really be trusting, tho????

Use both to test your calibrating solution which should be a known pH. Trust the one that agrees with the known pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.