pH Keeps Going Up

GaDiesel

Apr 21, 2019
Georgia
Good evening. I recently converted our pool to chlorine and all went well. When the conversion was complete, I installed a SWG and it's working away. It's been running for about a week now and I just lowered the output a bit because the chlorine was staying at about 4.5 to 5 ppm even at the end of the blazing hot days we're already having. Everything seems to be in good shape except my pH keeps going up. Two days ago, it was above 8 because the color was deeper than anything on the chart. I added muriatic acid per Pool Math based on a guess that it was 8.2. The pH came down to 7.6. Yesterday it was back to 8.0. More muriatic acid and back down to 7.6. This morning it was back at 8.0. Everything else is balanced (TA is slightly high at approx 95) and is staying that way. Any ideas why my pH keeps climbing and what I can do to fix it? Thanks.

I added approx 2 qts of muriatic acid per Pool Math. That dropped the pH to 7.2 and the TA is down from 100 to 80. Built an aerator for my air compressor using PVC and aerated for 4 hours. pH is up to 7.6 but TA remains 80. I'll do it all again tomorrow and I think it'll be about right. Thanks for the advice and the links to other info. It's all working.

You probably don't need the added aeration as that does bring the PH back up. Your SWG will naturally raise PH until you find the right TA/PH balence to where your PH does rise so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.