PH drop. CYA is 0. I think I messed up :)

nikon5400 said:
I had 4 socks and I believe the last one emptied yesterday.
Even after the socks are empty, it still may take a few more days for all of the CYA to appear in test results. Give it that time before testing so you do not accidentally overdose with CYA. Until you do test it, dose FC as though all of the CYA you added is present.

Chlorine AND filter will clear your water. You are on the home stretch. Do NOT give up now! This is the hardest part because you do not really see big changes so start to question if you will ever get done.

Kim
I do see big changes. I could only see one or two steps and now I can see bottom drain and I'm not losing chlorine as fast as I used to but that's probably also because of the CYA rising.

I'm not giving up I just haven't seen changes in the last 12 to 24 hours. that's why I wonder if I should put more chlorine than the shock level

nikon5400 said:
I'm not giving up I just haven't seen changes in the last 12 to 24 hours. that's why I wonder if I should put more chlorine than the shock level
I wouldn't do that. Stick to dosing FC at shock level until the pool clears. It will take time to filter out the remaining debris from the pool. Keep filter running 24/7 and keep an eye on the filter pressure and clean as necessary.

Since we have seen a spike in recent posts suggesting dosing FC at well-above shock levels, I will briefly address why that is not a good idea. The recommended shock levels are set as a balance between quickly clearing a pool of algae or other contaminants while not being harsh on your pool equipment. Also, the shock targets that we recommend are just that - targets - not absolute minimums. So, don't sweat it if FC drops a point or two below the target level during a SLAM. I also wouldn't sweat it if FC is a point or two above that target. Dosing FC well above shock targets may make a pool owner battling algae "feel good" in the short-term. However, it would be at the expense of planting seeds that could imperil your pool equipment down the road.

12 hours later and nothing changes the water is still a little cloudy. should I clean the cartridges? should I bleach them to kill any bacteria they may have?

I just don't see any improvements in almost 2 days now, so I wonder if I should try something in addition to what I'm already doing

My CC is 0.
FC loss during the day is about 50% (was 12, now 6. Which I guess is normal for a sunny 85+ day)

I can see bottom drains, but I know what my clean water looks like and this is not it.

I appreciate all the help thank you

You are in the hard spot for finishing. It does not seem to do much of anything like it did at the start.

It will work.

Keep your FC at SLAM level.

Clean your filter when the pressure rises 20% over clean reading.

Take a pic of your ladder and post it and we will see if we can see a difference.

Kim

You are in the hard spot for finishing. It does not seem to do much of anything like it did at the start.

It will work.

Keep your FC at SLAM level.

Clean your filter when the pressure rises 20% over clean reading.

Take a pic of your ladder and post it and we will see if we can see a difference.

Kim

I don't have a ladder I have steps at the shallow end. I'd say I see the bottom step like I used to see floor and the deep end

no changes 12 hours later. overnight (7pm-7am) loss 2.5ppm with CC 0. Is that normal, considering there was probably a couple hours of sun between 7pm-7am?

I can see both bottom drains, but when my pool is clean I can clearly see them from any angle

I cleaned the cartridges, which was a waste of time as they were pretty clean.

Would it make a difference if I blocked both skimmers and used only bottom drains?

Can the still restringing CYA be causing some cloudiness?

Could my 10yr old cartridges just be too old now? They still look good to me with all bands intact, but I don't know what's the reasonable lifespan of these cartridges.

My 2 R-0013 bottles (cya agents) are from last year and I've been using TF100 for few years now, so I doubt I'm doing it wrong. CYA registered at 30 on Tue 19th and then 6 days later at or around 0. As I was explained - this agent doesn't go bad for years, so I guess there's no way both bottles went bad in 6 days. And now that I added stabilizer CYA is back to or around 30, but I'll retest and see maybe I have more CYa (and not enough chlorine) than I should

I don't know what else to do. It's been like this for a few days now.

Is it safe to swim? :)

Thanks

Sounds like you are going through the process of filtering out the dead algae & whatever other organic contaminants that the chlorine has neutralized. This can take several days or even a week or so. Keep the pump on 24/7 and the chlorine as close to SLAM target until the water clears. Another thought...Have you checked behind the light fixture (assuming you have one)? It's very possible there could be algae hiding behind it which could be causing you to fail the OCLT. It's worth checking.

BTW, Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. Here's how to do this: Adding pool info to your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How often are you checking the FC and redosing the chlorine to SLAM level?
for the last couple of days twice a day couldn't do it more often because was at work. more often before that

during the day my chlorine loss was about 60 percent with sun hitting the pool almost all day and the weather temperature close to 90.

I bring FC back to 12 around 7 p.m. and at 7 a.m. I would have 9.5 - 10. (10.5 at 6am)
so it looks like its more less constant

I didn't see any algae, not a spot anywhere
I might only see some dust when I brush my pool but that's it
I know about light. I had an algae there once before but in order to get to it I have to be in the pool. and that one time when I had an algae there pool water was clear

I am not an expert but it just seems like pool filter doesn't do enough.

given all the above do you guys think it's safe to swim?

Can you see the bottom? If not no it is not safe to swim.

Have you tried adding DE to your filter to help it clear out the small stuff?

Kim

Yes, I can see both bottom drains, but the water is still cloudy.

I have cartridge filter, I wash it once a year at the end of the season. I just washed it just for the heck of it, it was 90% clean.
I suspect my filter is just not doing a good job or my CYA is higher than I think it is an I'm not adding enough chlorine.

Or maybe 3.5-4 days I've been dealing with it so far is just not enough and I have to be more patient, as people suggested :)

This is just my worst pool opening, never been this bad before. I already went through about 15 gallons of chlorine (8.25 and 12.5%)

Y my CYA is higher than I think it is an I'm not adding enough chlorine.

Or maybe 3.5-4 days I've been dealing with it so far is just not enough and I have to be more patient, as people suggested :)

I already went through about 15 gallons of chlorine (8.25 and 12.5%)

You got all of these right!

ONLY 15 gallons?????????? That is NOTHING compared to what some have used.

Time and bleach=done!

Kim

overnight loss ~~2.5ppm, which has been has been somewhat consistent for a few days now. However, it's more like 12hr loss. Is it still too high?

cc 1, had .5 and 0 before.

water is still cloudy.

I still wonder if filter cartridges to blame. Does anyone know what are the symptoms when cartridges need to be replaced? I know agewise it's probably the time, but if they don't have anything to do with water cloudiness I'd rather leave them alone. I don't usually have anything on my pool floor other than dust, which can be taken care of my pool vac with it's own mesh filter

Are they torn or have any holes in the pleats? How do they look when you clean them?

I REALLY think it is going to clear with time, testing and adding bleach.

Keep it up!

Kim

They look good to me, but I'm no expert One of them has stain, which I think is from calcium shock, but it's been there for many years. I believe cartridges are over $100 each (need to double check which size I have) and I don't want to replace them now unless they are the reason my pool is cloudy or someone can explain the benefits of replacing them now (given my pool doesn't get any dirt, only dust)

I just never had opening that took more than a day or two before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.