pH Down Chemical Question for TFP process

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
A couple of weeks ago, in a thread I replied to, I mentioned to someone who was scared of muriatic acid, that they could use dry acid instead.

A more veteran poster quickly let me know that dry acid was a big no-no, as there was a problem with sulfates in your pool. I quickly accepted this as me being wrong and moved on.

However, I was just looking at Pool school for something else to help a poster with, and noticed that it says in recommended chemicals that you can use dry acid, with no warning of sulfates.

So what is the correct answer? And should pool school be updated?

So what is the correct answer? And should pool school be updated?
We can look if a warning needs to be added there. SWCG owners are never to use dry acid. The manufacturers put warnings in their manuals saying the same.

For those that use little acid over the year and also winterize by draining some water, dry acid is OK. But in the case of us that add acid 2 or 3 times per week, and do not drain regularly, dry acid is a very bad idea.

Thank you.

@mknauss thanks for quick response. No criticism at all in this, but I think a warning should be added there. For 6 years (until last week) I assumed there were no issues with the dry acid, and have told people this as well. I would have liked to have known there were limits to usage. Luckily I dont use very much of the stuff, so I am not worried, and taking this as a learned lesson.

I wonder what if there are any other slight exceptions to pool school.

We are constantly evolving Pool School. So let us know if you see anything. A great place to post it is in Forum Suggestions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.