Best way to lower PH with in a saltwater pool with a vinyl liner.

Vincenzo47

May 25, 2023
Dix Hills, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC3 (RC-42)
So, I am a new pool owner and man is this a learning process. I want to thank TFP for the wealth of information I have found here.

I have learned that the PH will always creep up with a SWG. My problem is the way to lower it.

I have been using dry acid (lo n slo) but I recently read that is not recommended for a SWG, as it can cause the salt cell issues down the road, amongst other problems.

Many people seem to use Muriatic acid. I was hesitant to do this because of needing eye protection, gloves etc…seemed riskier than dry acid.

However, I have a vinyl liner and I have read that Muriatic acid can bleach and damage the liner!

So, there seems to be a paradox here. What is the consensus best way to lower PH in a saltwater pool with a vinyl liner?

-Muriatic Acid can be used easily and safely by pouring in a thin stream over top of a moving return (pump obviously "on") and I brush afterwards all around that area just to be sure.
-Position yourself upwind so you don't get a face full of fumes.
-Don't measure it into another container, just estimate based on the jug volume itself.
-Don't keep the acid stored near any chlorine or other chemicals, and away from metals.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Vincenzo47
Welcome to TFP!
I was hesitant to do this because of needing eye protection, gloves etc…seemed riskier than dry acid.
In my years here I've seen one person that has had to go to the ER because of respiratory problems due to using MA. Here's the kicker: he was wearing goggles, a quality respirator mask, gloves, and an apron. Either because he didn't know or didn't care he was standing in the path of the fumes and by the time his eyes started burning he'd been hit with a considerable amount of fumes that clung to his skin causing him to breathe it in when he took the respirator off. Thankfully he was fine after a quick check at the hospital, but that's the only instance I can recall where it's been that bad.

The thing is: MA has a bark bigger than its bite. It takes very little concentration of fumes to cause our eyes or nose to react, but this is good because it quickly alerts us to the problem so we can correct the situation. MA isn't harmless by any means, but its meal of choice is metal and it is not particularly fond of human skin. So as long as you trust your senses and use a bit of common sense it is no more dangerous to handle than dry acid or chlorine pucks. I've poured slowly with the jug resting in the water standing upwind for many years, I've had to stop and walk away to get fresh air a few times when the wind changed, but that's the worst of it.

I have been using MA for many years and while it is not something you would like to smell it is not as bad as you have been told.

It is not a really bad acid and even if you spill it on your skin, it is not going to eat year skin off. Just rinse it off in the pool water and you are done.

A little common sense is all you need when you use it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for all the information. I’m not nervous about the Muriatic acid anymore.

So, as long as I pour it very slow near a return in the deep end I’ll be ok? My wife will kill me if I screw up the liner lol.

Also, what strength of acid do you recommend? I think I’ve been reading 30%?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.