PH Dilemma

HO249

Jan 31, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
In a distracted moment, I added too much muriatic acid to my pool. The test results afterward are:

Temp 86 degrees F
Cl = 6.0
pH = 6.8
CH = 475
TA = 60
CSI = -.65

This time of year, our pool pH increases very quickly. I usually have to add muriatic acid every 2 or 3 days.

I understand a CSI reading of less than -.6 can cause plaster damage, etc. Could you help with these questions?

1. The pH will probably drift up to 7.0 tomorrow, which should result in a CSI of around -.46. Do I need to take action to raise the pH immediately, or will I most likely be OK just letting the pH drift up? I do have some soda ash, if this is an emergency.

2. Is the pool swimable? I read elsewhere that the minimum pH for safe swimming is 7.0.

I would greatly appreciate input from the forum members.

You will be okay. The pool is swimmable. Let the pH drift up. Turn on any aeration you might have.

An out of range CSI takes a while to cause any damage.

pH damage happens over a relatively long period of time.. A day or two should not be a concern.

I think the pH for drinking water can be anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5, so I'm thinking if you drink it, you sure should be able to swim in it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.