Ph after water softener First readings

Why is your TA falling? That only happens if you add acid.

In your situation, I would suggest you add baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm.

Aeration raises pH. TA is only increased by adding chemicals (baking soda or soda ash) or by high TA fill water.

Why is your TA falling? That only happens if you add acid.

In your situation, I would suggest you add baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm.

Aeration raises pH. TA is only increased by adding chemicals (baking soda or soda ash) or by high TA fill water.
I think that whatever the RO person added afterward did this. Plus we have had about 5 inches of rain water in the pool. Probably a combination of these. I’m going to start adding baking soda slowly. Do I just add it to the skimmer or sprinkle it around? And how long before I should measure after an addition. I’m being cautious since I just did RO and don’t want to go overboard on anything.

Just add the baking soda to the pool near a return. Give the pool a brush and it will readily mix in. Wait until tomorrow to test again. Never add chemicals directly to the skimmer.

Rain water raises pH.

Reactions: kul
Never add chemicals directly to the skimmer.
Thanks. I dissolved 2 cups of baking soda into a bucket of pool water then spilled some in front of a few returns with pump going. I also brushed the whole pool. I will test each day after I add baking soda so that I can slowly get it in range. I don’t have the heart to add the full amount right away because I don’t want to go too high and then have the reverse problem.

Question- when typically brushing a pool (not adding chemicals)- do I just brush the tile line? Or do I need to brush the entire plaster surface area including the bottom of pool and spa?

Two cups? You weigh baking soda. You needed 4 lbs to raise your pool volume by 20 ppm TA. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath.

Brush the entire pool.

Two cups? You weigh baking soda. You needed 4 lbs to raise your pool volume by 20 ppm TA. Use Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath.

Brush the entire pool.
I used the app. Is pool math on the website?

2 cups= 16 oz/1 lb I’ll add more tomorrow once I see what, if anything the 1 lb does. Since the recommendation is 4lbs, I’ll be getting there in next few days gradually. Probably will add 2 lbs tomorrow if I’m feeling gutsy.

The app is Poolmath. 1 lb of baking soda added 5 ppm TA. That is not measurable via your test kit.

Sorry for the thread that doesn’t end. I was able to get my TA to 70 and ph to 7.5 via combo of baking soda (TA) and recent additional rain (ph). My CSI is slightly off. Should I go ahead and try to increase my TA some more to address this? Or leave it?

Let your pH rise to 8 and see how things stand. The CH will rise over time as you use fill water for evaporation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks @mknauss ! Is my plaster at risk due to my CSI? In reading one of the TFP articles and posts, this seems like a big concern. Is it immediate?

Is it immediate?
It is not immediate. And with colder water temperatures, things move pretty slowly. Do let the TA and pH rise naturally. CH will also as you add fill water when the weather warms in May next year.

Levels are starting to get into range. The recent rains have increased my PH.
Does PH decrease on its own? Or should I add MA? My TA is 70 so I was considering just leaving as is since my CSI is also in a good range.

Attachments

• 791F3C83-2BB6-417C-ACC1-DB6B1346FC12.jpeg
    791F3C83-2BB6-417C-ACC1-DB6B1346FC12.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
Let your pH rise to 8 and see how things stand. The CH will rise over time as you use fill water for evaporation.
Is it ok to have a ph of more than 8? I thought it was recommended to keep it in the 7.5-7.8 range? Mine is currently above 8. I’m having trouble with the precision, it seems and I’m not sure when it’s appropriate to fine tune or just watch. How do others decide when to worry or when to just roll with it?

Optimally, you want to keep your TA pH within TFP "acceptable" range (7.2 - 8.0 ppm). CSI should be maintained between 0.0 to - 0.30. You can lower pH to the top of the range at 8.0 and your CSI will still be okay.

Muriatic acid lowers pH and TA. Most likely, your fill water is higher in TA than your pool, so TA will increase with top offs. Adding MA to control pH will help to keep TA in check.

Your numbers look real good. You've done a great job in getting things balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: kul and mknauss
Thanks @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta ! My water softener just arrived. I got the same one as @mknauss since it seemed to suit my needs.
Questions:
1. when should I start using it for top offs? Seems it would be wise to wait until my CH comes up to 300? Or should I start now?
2. Though I got this softener to address my fill water calcium, does anyone know if use of a water softener has an effect on TA of the water being used to do the fill? Does the softener decrease or increase the fill water TA?

On The Go OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT Portable Compact Double Standard 16,000 Grain Water Softener w/Brass Fittings, Back-Flush Adapter for RV/Marine Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Q2LBJ...abc_6GB20XT87WVXQBS1D2W3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would start using it now. Since you will be adding less fill water (due to rain) it is a good time to get used to it.

TA is not changed. So the water out of the softener has the same TA as your tap water.

Hi @kul. I have been following your thread because I have been wanting to soften my fill water also, and have been looking at RV softeners as a less invasive and less costly way than replumbing from my water softener.

Can you share pics of how you installed this? Are you connecting it to a garden hose and then garden hose to pool? If so are you refilling manually?
I have an autofill on my pool - refilling manually isn't really an option here in the Phoenix area - so I am not sure how I would hook up a softener such as yours.
@mknauss and @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta would you be willing to share your installations, especially if you have autofills?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.