pentair whisperflow Replacement pump motor

paulus delamarus

In The Industry
May 25, 2022
phoeniz arizona
I have a PENTAIR WHISPERFLOW WFDS-6 WITH A CENTURY AO SMITH 7-177456-03, a dual speed 1 1/2 hp MOTOR with a high low speed switch

I have a 14k gallon in ground pool with a popup cleaning system, a Hayward DE6020 DE filter and a separate spa/heater serviced by the same pump/filter

I installed this pump around 1998 give or take a year or two, had to replace the capicitor last year.

Recently, the motor will balk and stop when switched to high speed.

I think the motor bearings are tired and getting some water under the seal plate.

the pump body looks good so I want to replace the motor with a variable speed.

On inyo, looking at V-Green

Should I replace with the V-Green 1.65 HP Square Flange 48Y Variable Speed Motor - ECM16SQU

or should I replace with the V-Green 2.7 HP Square Flange 48Y Variable Speed Motor - ECM27SQU?

Either way, can I reuse the impeller or would I need a new one?

the pump sits in the Arizona sun. Do I need to build a cover for the motor so that the electronics / control module / screen are not hosed by the heat here? Surfaces can get up to 140 degrees so that concerns me.

Attachments

• pool pump filter installation.jpg
    pool pump filter installation.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 7
With you impeller you would need the 2.7. Your pump has a total horsepower rating of at least 1.85 according to the motor. The V-Green 165 is too small to run that impeller. Its better to keep the larger impeller and turn the motor to a lower speed. The 2.7 has its own timeclock built in so your existing time clock would no longer be necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.