Pentair Ultra Temp 120 Heater tripping breaker

Aug 22, 2013
Hi all,
We opened our pool a few weeks ago and started the Pool Heater (Pentair UltraTemp 120, 7 years old). The pool heater ran for about an hour or so, then tripped the main Pool breaker in the basement. We reset the breaker at the panel and the breaker at the Pool Heater location. The unit does turn on and the fan starts, but after the start delay time (5 min) the unit trips the breaker.
We had an electrician look at the breaker and voltage and found no issues, but we did find the capacitor has "exploded" we removed the old capacitor and was sent a replacement by Pentair.

Unfortunately, the heater is doing the same thing? We have contacted our Pool Company, but they have been on hiatus. We have reached out to other Pentair resellers for assistance and have not heard back from anyone as of a week. We want to make sure that if it is the compressor, we have a Pentair reseller check it out, as the compressor has a 10 year warranty.

I was wondering what other things should we be looking at? I have pictures, there does not look like any chewed wires, or any disconnects.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
Look at the melted power connections in this UltraTemp. You may have similar problems.

We inspected all wires and did not find any they may have been chewed or burnt. I have attached pictures of my setup. These pictures are of the control panel wiring and the main wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: paullucas1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.