Pentair Triton 4000 backwash (rotary) valve stuck

Matt_21

May 17, 2021
CA
Hey all,

just bought my first house and pool so trying to get up to speed with maintenance. Wanted to do a backwash but the handle was completely stuck.
Used a tire iron to get more leverage and bent the brass handle :-(

This is the filter I have: Pentair SMBW 4000 Series D.E. Filter with built-in backwash valve
To my shame I have to say I didn't search for the manual before and there was no screw/compressor ring, it's possible I missed it in the dirt.
Kinda doubt it as it's not turning at all.

Opened up the filter and it was super nasty. Had to get out all the dirty water with a bucket and cup as it wouldn't drain. Once I got all the way down to the actual rotor valve I couldn't find any screws and the valve wouldn't move. I took off the handle under the filter and tried to push it up with the tire iron as well as pulling on it with pliers, not the tiniest movement.

Would really appreciate if anyone has any tips on how to loosen/remove that valve so I can backwash.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
:-( I did, but as I couldn't backwash and the bottom part still contained gunk it all washed into the pool.
That prob gets better as I keep it clean but the filter is also pretty close to the pool and if I open the full filter it'll wash a bunch of dirt into the pool each time, can only get so much with holding a bucket to the opening.
To further complicate, the clamp is almost impossible to get on/off as the pipes are so close to the filter that I have to push them away to get the clamp over.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Don't know how old it is but probably 10-20 years, more likely closer to 20.
Will look into the replacement you suggested.

Attached a pic of the dirty state

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.54.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.54.03 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.