Pentair superflo failing to prime

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
hi all,

i have a two speed pentair superflo pool pump that is failing to prime on high speed.
if i set it to low speed everything seems to be working. However low speed won't work as well in terms of cleaning up the pool :(

Troubleshooting steps i took already:
1. opened up the pump basket area (or whatever the name is) and cleaned the strainer and made sure strainer is intact
2. i put a screwdriver in there and turned the impeller a few times in case there was debris
3. lubricated the o-ring on the gasket and made sure the area was clean of dirt/debris
4. made sure the basket was full of water before closing

no matter what, my pump is not priming at high speed. i included a video below. as you can see the basket is full with water when the pump is stopped (that always happens). but when you start it, it does not fill up.

is my next step to open up the pump?

thanks in advance!!

Mike,

What is the water level at the skimmer and does the water in the skimmer empty and then fill up and empty again, etc.???

I would make sure the water is in the middle of the skimmer and that the Weir door is not stuck in the up position?

Thanks,

Jim R.

thank you @Jimrahbe. the water level in the skimmer is full and the door is not stuck. However, i don't see it filling up and emptying again...water flows, but slowly
but this gave me another idea/thought.
my pool guy had used a vacuum hose through the skimmer likely the day that this happened. it is possible he got lazy and used the vaccum for the leaves as well. could it be that there are leaves stuck between the skimmer and my pump somewhere, impairing the ability to prime?

thanks @JamesW. i am thinking of using a wet/dry vaccum to push the debris out. should i go from skimmer to pump or from pump to skimmer?

Try both ways. Depends where things are clogged.

A wet/dry Vac is not likely to have enough power to move a column of water in the suction line. You really need a Cyclone blower like used for pool closings.

Mike,

The skimmer should not empty as that would be a sign that the Weir door is stuck up..

That said, I agree that the line looks like it is clogged. I would try both ways starting at the pump pushing back toward the skimmer with the basket removed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks everyone. the wet/dry vaccum indeed did not have enough power. i saw that when i pushed from the skimmer towards the pump, there was water that got out at the main drain (i could notice since things were clearer there).

i will call a pool company to bring a cyclone blower. thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.