RBEmerson

Jun 14, 2019
SE PA USA
(There a two threads about 0021 errors, but TFP policy basically says "no necro posting" Thread number 3 follows)

OK, first time listener, first time caller.

My Superflo is also giving err 0021's. I pulled the 5 pin connector, squirted contact cleaner, put the plug back and... no change. The area under the "black box" is dry - the pump is in a utility shed (AKA "pump palace" with lots of room, no weather intrusion). I'm fairly certain the problem is related to clearing a 0002 code (pulled volute, cleaned diffuser and impeller, end of problem). The black box flapped around while I worked on the pump. My guess is I did something rude to the wiring. Maybe not.

I looked up the price for "Pentair Drive / Cover Kit 353127 ". The best I can do is $389. For a $700 pump? Puh-leeze! The pump was bought in April, '17 which, I think, puts us well outside the warranty window.

What, aside from the 5 pin connector, can produce 0021? Since I'm out of warranty, I'm not too worried about opening the "warranty void if opened" (security) screws. Has anyone been inside the black box? If so, anything in particular to look for?

(While the SuperFlo isn't the latest and greatest pump, it's done the job so far. Would I buy it again? Yes. Do I worry about a custom schedule? No. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".)

Reactions: gary300
RB, welcome to TFP! :wave: Oh, and thanks for taking the time to read the forum rules. :) Ha. Your thread however has been collecting dust and needs attention. Are you still struggling wiht that error code? If so, let us know. We have an expert or two who may know about it but not seen your post. Thanks for using the forum.

My apologies if I stepped on my necktie re: forum rules.

The 0021 is still happening. It seems to have calmed down a bit, with fewer occurrences. Or they happen when I'm not looking at or hearing the pump. NTL the error does show up.

Assuming a year warranty, the purchase receipt and installation invoice (finally found them) definitely put us past the one year mark. The purchase was in late April and installation in late May.

I hope the wiring going to the display/switch panel and "black box" use strain relief hold-downs. If so, letting the panel/cover assembly flop around shouldn't have caused a problem. If the wiring just goes through the grommets and on to solder pads, not so good.

Aside a bit of added wear and extra watts consumed, going through the priming cycle after each 0021 failure is not a real problem. I'm concerned about whether this error code means more surprises are going to happen sometime. And it offends my sense of order in the universe. LOL

Warranty is two years with professional install. Did you register it with Pentair? If so, call them, sometimes they will work with you.

Communication Link between the HMI and Motor control has been lost: Check the jacketed wire on the back side of the keypad inside the drive top cover. Ensure that the 5 pin connector is properly plugged into the socket and that there is no damage to the cable.
Maybe contact Pentair to see if they have any idea.

I called Pentair tech support about the problem. The tech couldn't find a warranty registration for the pump. That's odd because I had to register to get a $200 rebate from our power provider. We received the rebate, so all should be well with Pentair.

AFAIK, the Superflo has a 1 year warranty, unlike other gear that has a 2 year warranty. Somewhere in Pentair literature there's a table of pumps with a line with voltage, consumption, HP, etc. and warrant length. 1 year...

The tech was essentially clueless about 0021. The response was to tell me to be sure the 5-pin connector was seated. After I told him I'd done that. Sigh...

OK! Thanks for ....uh... getting my head out of my ...uh... pump pot. LOL

I made sure we had the installer info for the "lost" warranty and PECO rebate. I have it in the stuff uncovered in the search. Let;s see what I can negotiate out of Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope. At this point I'm just living with the problem. It doesn't cause problems with the overall circulation/ filter process, Whatever the cause is, it almost only happens when the pump is running at a higher speed (IIRC 2200 RPM) or, on occasion, the prime process (3450?? 3540??).

I totally missed on the warranty situation (I'll plead "massive brain burp"). The installation was two years ago (not one), at the end of April. Doh... Anyway, I'm out of warranty. Unless the problem becomes a serious "can't get anything done" problem, I'll leave the pump alone.

What's happening in your situation?

Sorry for the delayed response. Same thing. Just shutting down at random times and restarting. A few times it has shut down and not started back until I pull the black 4 pin connector and reconnect it. It’s pretty aggravating especially in times where the slide is on and we are running it at a higher RPM to provide flow. I can’t find much on this subject except for a few that had water in their box. Im seriously thinking about finding a way to bypass the pump controller and use our integrated timer/controller from our SWG.

Fortunately, my pump doesn't shut down until the black connector is jiggled. "All" that happens is the pump throws the error code and goes through the priming cycle, starting with the delay prior to the motor starting to spin. I didn't change the programming; the problem happens at least in stage one (2200 RPM??), not in stage 2 (1400 RPM). It may happen in stage 3 (2200 again??). Evenings I'm not were the pump house attaches to the house, so there's no way to listen to the pump spin. (It's not loud, just the difference between total silence and a faint hum)

If you have to pull the black connector to regain control of the pump, I'd look closely for a frayed wire or pin that's pushed out of place. A few squirts of contact cleaner on the plug and socket might help, can't hurt. Either way, I think you've got a hint as to what's causing at least some of your problems.

I doubt you can bypass the controller. In any event, you'd lose all of the value of a variable speed pump. It'd be easier to replace the control assembly, even at $450+ from an online vendor.

EDIT: Added stage 2 pump speed

Last edited:
Pentair SuperFlow VS Error code 21 fix.. I turned pump and circuit breaker off and performed resistance checks on the 3 wire input to motor assembly.. I found a floating ground (unit not properly grounded) with resistance not a zero or near zero. Sure enough old connections in power panel that needed cleaning. Plus, my ground wire there traveled through another unused panel. Cleaned both.. Checked resistance and it was at zero ohms. Unit still would shut off and show error 21. I looked around the pump and saw the grounding lug nut with no grounding wire. I had extra wire so I cut a 4ft piece and ran that ground wire from the outer motor casing lug nut back to the same power panel. B I N G O ! Pump hasn't kicked off once since I took care of that floating ground. Solution brought to you by ye ole retired Navy Masterchief. 😉🇺🇲

I am getting the same error with my Pentair SuperFlow VS pump. My pump is going on 4 years old at this point however it this issue just started to happen. From what I can tell, it only happens with the controller is in automatic mode and it errors out once a day, if i put the pump into service mode, it will run without issue however my programs no longer run to control the speed. I have reseated the cable as mentioned above already and ensure I had good power and a good ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.