Pentair/Sta Rite Heater Trouble (Please Help)

Jul 17, 2019
Ontario
I have a Sta Rite 333k BTU heater.

Pool heater was working fine upon opening. Now I am getting Air flow light on the board with Service Heater. I've done several things now and I am certain it in not Air Flow Sensor.

When heater is turned on, the board does its normal thing and then immediately AFS light comes on at the exact same time the fan turns on. The fan sounds fine, I opened it up and everything working correctly. All of the tubes going to sensor are clear. The heater does not attempt to open valve or light at all.

I then checked AFS sensor with the heater on and off. It is opening and close as it should and I confirmed this with OHM meter. I then did the same while blowing into tube while heater is off at plug and that fine to, so its not wiring. Then after cleaning and hooking board back up the same thing happened. I used OHM meter to test the exposed part on the plug and it is working at it should.

So the AFS is telling the board that everything good but it is still lighting that lamp. Is there anything else that could be causing the lamp to be lit or do I have a bad board? The Fenwal ignition box is also giving 1 flash. I assume that is just a result of the other light but not sure.

If anyone has any idea's please let me know. Aside from the light being on, the board looks visually fine and everything else seems to be working. These boards are expensive and often have no return policy so I really don't want to replace the board if that is not the issue.

How old is The heater?
You have a pic of an old board in your media. Have you replaced it before?
Did you check the air port orifices for blocks?
Have you removed the bottom bolt on the manifold to see if the combustion chamber is compromised?

Do you have a Pentair board in your heater or a knockoff?

When heater is turned on, the board does its normal thing and then immediately AFS light comes on at the exact same time the fan turns on.

What are the normal things the heater does until the AFS light comes on?

What software version number?

Exactly what is displayed on startup?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.