pentair rainbow cyanuric acid tester R151226

The Pentair product is a relabled Blue Devil CYA test kit. The only drawback is since the measuring vessel is larger, you use more reagent than with the Taylor test. The Blue Devil test uses about 18ml verses 14ml for the Taylor.

Taylor sells a very similar “pull stick” style tester. It’s the same exact chemistry as the regular CYA test and so the same limitations/tolerances apply. One problem you can run into is if you raise the stick too quickly, the particles in suspension in the test solution can get perturbed and that will change how easy it is to see the black dot. So lighting and technique is key.

Unless one is using an inline chlorinator with trichlor pucks and powdered shock, CYA testing shouldn’t be more frequent than once or twice per month. So buying large bottles of reagent may result in waste. It is possible, although somewhat unusual, for the CYA reagent to go bad.

Regardless what they say, your back to the sun will provide the most consistent, repeatable, and accurate results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only trouble with the Pentair CYA test is, if your hands shake, it can be hard to get a reliable reading. My hands shake something awful due to medication, and I couldn't get a reading to save my life -- I had to get my husband to read it for me!

That and the amt of reagent you have to use made me switch to the TFTestKits CYA test kit. Looking down the little tube is SO much easier for me!

At their core, they are all the same test with the same level of error. There’s just no easy way to measure CYA that gives highly precise results. Whether you’re moving the dot up and down or the liquid level up and down is simply a matter of which you find easier to read. I have no problem with the Taylor version of the fixed dot CYA test. Others find it impossible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.