Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So my filter pump started to make a whining noise a couple of days ago, the pump (011056) still "works" and will still change speeds, etc.
I noticed black film around the motor area, perhaps it's the fan on the motor or? The pump is less than a year old. Normally I run it about 12 hours/day around 1900 rpms. I contacted my builder, I would assume this would be under warranty with Pentair?

Any ideas on a fix or what the issue is?

Last edited:
H,

I have no idea what the problem is, but not normal for a one-year-old IntelliFlo.

I agree, the first step is to get it looked at under warranty.

Show us a pic of this "black" film. :scratch: Is this film on the equipment pad, or on the pump motor, or ???

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

I went out and looked at my IntelliFlo, which is about 8 years old. It has something similar, but for me, it is clearly dust and dirt. I have no noise.

And sad to say, I have never wiped by pump off, so it has been accumulating for almost 8 years.

Let's see if JamesW has any ideas. Calling @JamesW

Thanks,

Jim R.

It looks like you're pulling in some sort of soot.

Is the heater working well?

Do you have some wide angle pictures of everything?

Do you see any obvious source of soot of sooting patterns?

It looks like you're pulling in some sort of soot.

Is the heater working well?

Do you have some wide angle pictures of everything?

Do you see any obvious source of soot of sooting patterns?
Heater is working properly, no issues when heating up the hot tub.

I think I have inserted some pictures during the build that shows more of the equipment pad and layout.

No soot to speak of, thanks for sending the video, I got $10 it's the fan...I think.

Worst part is getting off the third screw underneath the pump, I have no unions (beginner mistake on my first pool), so no easy way to turn the pump over to get to the screw. I think a ratchet type driver with the philips head would work. I am going to let the builder figure it out, still under warranty.

Maybe bearing or the seal.

Looks like some sort of local dirt or soot is in the area.

The heater seems partially enclosed and maybe it's not getting enough air and the exhaust is recycling in the enclosed area.

The fan just circulates air over the motor to keep it cool.

The soot might not be related to the noise.

If you can access the fan, you can spin it to see if it feels tight.

You can insert a 1/4" Allen wrench through the back hole to spin the shaft to see if it is hard to turn.

1654013993301.png
1654014272651.png
1654014426872.png

So two trips from the Pentair warranty claim have resulted in....there was some glue from the fitting that got into the impeller...they disassembled the impeller, cleaned the glue out, put it back together and....same sound from the pump, I think they were going toward water chemistry until I showed them my logs since last september....I was no, not water chemistry! Now I have to have the builder put in another claim to replace the impeller, seal plate, mechanical seal and defuser...so they say. Somewhat fusrating, but at least the pump is still working....eventialy they will figure it out, thanks for the warranty Pentair!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Yeah!! Pump is fixed, 3rd trip out to repair, seems they replaced the motor or the "dry" side, works as it should, much more quieter again. I still don't know what exactly was wrong, just happy it's fixed and was covered under warranty.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.