Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool / spa pump casing cracked when I had it in spa mode, and the leak is bad enough that I need to leave it off. I just cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago and prior to cleaning I had the system in spa mode while sweeping to sweep spa debree into the filter. Immediately after sweeping I turned the pump off and noticed mucky brown water in the basket and pool skimmer. The dirty water cleared up got sucked back into the filter. Can that be related to the pump casing cracking while cleaning the spa this time? What could have caused the pump to crack?

Post pics of where the crack is.

How old is the pump? What is the date on the label on the front of the pump?

I can't think of anything that you could do that would cause the pump casing to crack under normal use...

The two things that could do it would be, if the pump was allowed to freeze with water in it during the winter, or treading the input and output connections in way too tight.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I can't think of anything that you could do that would cause the pump casing to crack under normal use...

The two things that could do it would be, if the pump was allowed to freeze with water in it during the winter, or treading the input and output connections in way too tight.

Thanks,

Jim R.
It has freezing protection and run in winter.

Call them tomorrow. Be very nice. You should get a replacement. That is an odd failure. I can't say I have every seen one on the forum in the last 5 years.

Reactions: Fishy1234
Pump was purchased by builder July 2016, and pool was finished in Oct 2016.

The pump should have a 3 year warranty from when the builder put it in service. Is the builder an authorized Pentair distributor?

Let us know how it turns out with Pentair.

Reactions: Fishy1234

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump should have a 3 year warranty from when the builder put it in service. Is the builder an authorized Pentair distributor?

Let us know how it turns out with Pentair.

He mentioned someone from pentair by name, so I assume he dealt with them before. John Kennedy, Southern Comfort Pools here in Apple Valley. California.

I have an awesome neighbor. He had an extra above ground pump and filter that we set up, along with my submersible pump at the other end. Temporary of course.

Attachments

• 20190901_083451.jpg
    20190901_083451.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.