Pentair or Jandy pump in 1.5 to 2HP range vsp?

Seans

Jan 10, 2021
South West floridw
So I have a I just bought a house and the pool is older around 13000 gallons with 600 gallon spa. The problem is the pool only has one skimmer with 1.5" return line. Main drain is plumed to the skimmer. Spa also has main drain connected to spa skimmer and again 1.5" return to pump. Pool runs on aqualink RS and single speed pump that is dieing. I will replace with variable speed. The question. Is which one. Intellifow will be to powerful so I am thinking of going with pentair Superflow or Jandy Epump. Now the Jandy may not be as good but will fully connect with the aqualink or the Superflo that only connects useing up aux relays.with is really annoyeing. So any suggestions? Thank you

Welcome to TFP.

There is no such thing as a too powerful VS pump. A VS pump is a variable HP pump. You set the RPMs for the HP that works in your pool.

That said, if you intend to keep your Aqualink then a Jandy VS pump will work best with it.

What Rev letter is your Aqualink firmware?

Sean,

The idea that the 3 HP IntelliFlo is "too" powerful is just total bull feathers.. It would be true, if it were a single speed pump, but it is a VS pump, or better yet it is a variable HP pump.

Just like you can drive a 300 HP car through a school zone. You can run a VS pump at the appropriate speed for the configuration of the pool. Slow for generating chlorine, a little faster to run your cleaner, and faster yet for running your spa.

The benefit of having a large VS pump is that the larger the pump, the more water it can move at lower RPMs.

I have two rent house pools that have IntelliFlo pumps and 1.5" plumbing.. They work just fine.. Pipe size does not have much impact when the pump is running at low RPMs.. My filter pressure on those two pools is always less than 5 lbs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

There is no such thing as a too powerful VS pump. A VS pump is a variable HP pump. You set the RPMs for the HP that works in your pool.

That said, if you intend to keep your Aqualink then a Jandy VS pump will work best with it.

What Rev letter is your Aqualink firmware?

I am in rev t.2 and yes I do see intelliflo listed in the software. I understand I can throttle it down however and limit the rpms, but from all of the research and talking to different people (even a call into pentair) they said it MAY be starved for water and recommended the intelliflo i2. But that it may not connect correctly to aqualink. Also on a side note no one stocks the i2 and half of the places I called never even heared of an i2. On top of that 2 pool supply and service companies tried to talk me out of variable speed pump. In my profession I am a commercial and lite industrial electrician and teach at an apprenticeship school. However the wet end of the pump is what I am not sure about and I am learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.